The State Of Debian 9.0 Stretch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanLamb View Post

... even now, there isn't major missing features in Python 2.7.
    Proper Unicode handling, new-style objects, contextlib.ContextDecorator, sysconfig, venv, enum, selectors, statistics ...

Oh yes, and coroutines.

Comment

Originally posted by ldo17 View Post

Proper Unicode handling, new-style objects, contextlib.ContextDecorator, sysconfig, venv, enum, selectors, statistics ...

Oh yes, and coroutines.
      enums are back-ported to Python 2.7. Python 2.7 has virtualenv. "new-style objects"? Is that the OOP class thing? I'm pretty sure that works in 2.7.x too.

Python 3 is better in that default `str` type supports unicode rather than separate str/unicode types like in Python 2.7.x, but Python 2.7.x does support Unicode.

Coroutines are nice. I like the optional type annotations in Python 3.5+.

None of the Python 3.x features are really killer features to compel upgrades, and many important ecosystems have prioritized Python 2.x.

Comment

Originally posted by DanLamb View Post

None of the Python 3.x features are really killer features to compel upgrades, and many important ecosystems have prioritized Python 2.x.
        I see a lot of Python wrappers for libraries bogged down by maintaining backward compatibility with 2.x. For example, PyCairo (binding for Cairo) has been neglected for many years, so I took the opportunity to create a new one (Qahirah) for Python 3.3 or later only. As a bonus, because it is written in pure Python, I was able to go beyond the capabilities that PyCairo was able to support (e.g. font handling) by writing much less code.

Similarly, my D-Bus binding takes advantage of coroutines, which makes writing event-loop-friendly code much easier. Ever done much callback chaining? This lets you cut that code in half.

Comment

Working...
        X