Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 17.04 Gaming Performance: Budgie vs. GNOME vs. KDE Plasma vs. MATE vs. Unity vs. Xfce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mum1989
    replied
    Intel Xeon E3-1280 v5 @ 4.00GHz (8 Cores)
    SSD
    AMD Radeon RX 470/
    etc....

more powerfulll please ...

for these test you should benchmark on low end pc, like (Celeron/pentium, Hard Disk drive, 4go RAM, and weak GPU like RX460 or slower ....

Leave a comment:

• darkcoder
    replied
    KDE/QT from being last a couple of years ago to kind of obliterating all GTK 3 desktops today in gaming!

Since people said KDE is a piece of garbage, then would like to know the results the day when it will rocks.

Leave a comment:

• dado023
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post

Need to submit test profiles then for such Wine benchmarks you're interested in.
    I would switch to linux if i could play normaly League of Legends and Eve Online ....i know phoronix is not about gaming, but testing WINE compatibility and performance will be always interesting to me.

Leave a comment:

• davidbepo
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post

No, it was just blank screen when trying that session.
    i wonder why, anyway thanks for making it clear

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by GI_Jack View Post
    Request - gaming in WINE, especially wanted is WINE in World of Warcraft.
    Need to submit test profiles then for such Wine benchmarks you're interested in.

Leave a comment:

• GI_Jack
    replied
    Request - gaming in WINE, especially wanted is WINE in World of Warcraft.

Leave a comment:

• Azrael5
    replied
    Just installed Kubuntu 17.04: the most beautiful operating system on the market. (it has improved rather than the predecessor)

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
    gnome is on wayland?
    No, it was just blank screen when trying that session.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by dh04000 View Post

Also, did you notice the non-composited desktops usually lost to the composited desktops? (except for that one bungie and gnome3 test... what happened? that's a bug for sure) I still see the myth that non-composited desktops are better for gaming online, all-the-time in the linux community.
    These DEs are all composited by default ... only Ubuntu flavor which is not is LXDE i think, but that is missing here

Michael should do plain OpenBox session so we can draw picture of composite related slowness of some DE... Regardless, composite will hit its slowness here and there regardless of DE used, put into POV also fact that same compositors might behave differently on different drivers too, say on this one this is slow and on another something else is slow, etc...

It isn't a myth that composite eats some resources, also it isn't myth that there is no perfect same compositor which works the same with all drivers and all apps outhere... no way.

For most performance even overclockers makes Windows first look like shit, just because everything you see (and some things you don't) eats some cycles... not composite only but any effect even plain font antialiasing that modernity takes for granted, even clock counter, etc...
    Last edited by dungeon; 14 April 2017, 11:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• davidbepo
    replied
    gnome is on wayland?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X