Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 17.04 Gaming Performance: Budgie vs. GNOME vs. KDE Plasma vs. MATE vs. Unity vs. Xfce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ElderSnake
    replied
    Just when there's an article to be fairly positive about overall, with performance being relatively even (especially if you take into account default software compositing as being a likely reason for MATE's lesser showing - I can't wait for that to be ported to Wayland), people still find a reason to bitch and get all trolly. I swear some of the people around here need a shrink for their issues.

Leave a comment:

• Gapil301
    replied
    Originally posted by Niarbeht View Post

The plot thickens.

I think this points to something important, though: what Mutter is doing is probably entirely sane, and the reactions of some of the forum-dwellers here might not be.
    Well, you are the one who started the disinformation about mutter to save your precious gnome dignity.

Leave a comment:

• Vash63
    replied
    As a regular CSGO player, I really wish Mutter would let me increase the timeout before bringing up the crashed app window without having to compile from source. That should be a tweak tool or dconf setting.

Leave a comment:

• Niarbeht
    replied
    Originally posted by Gapil301 View Post

Oh, a bug with mutter, how surprising...
    Originally posted by ikey_solus View Post

Not actually a mutter bug. The SDL apps aren't responding to pings from Mutter.
    The plot thickens.

I think this points to something important, though: what Mutter is doing is probably entirely sane, and the reactions of some of the forum-dwellers here might not be.

Leave a comment:

• ikey_solus
    replied

Not actually a mutter bug. The SDL apps aren't responding to pings from Mutter.

Leave a comment:

• Gapil301
    replied
    Originally posted by Niarbeht View Post

Did you read the article? Michael clearly states it's a known bug with Mutter de-focusing the window because it thinks the game is unresponsive while it's starting.

Leave a comment:

• Niarbeht
    replied
    Oh, gnome being trashed on performance, how surprising...
    Did you read the article? Michael clearly states it's a known bug with Mutter de-focusing the window because it thinks the game is unresponsive while it's starting.

Go actually use Gnome 3 and fire up CS:GO. When the annoying "OH NOES I THINK THIS HAS CRASHEDED" popup comes up, click the wait option, and let the game load.

Bam. You get good performance. Certainly better than the 15fps displayed here.

Also, troll harder, nub.

Leave a comment:

• genstorm
    replied
    @Michael: First page, second image: "KDE Frameworks 5" is not a desktop, just libraries. It wouldn't hurt to explicitly state the *full* KDE Plasma version instead.

Leave a comment:

• Gapil301
    replied
    Oh, gnome being trashed on performance, how surprising...

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
    Just installed Kubuntu 17.04: the most beautiful operating system on the market. (it has improved rather than the predecessor)
    You'd love KDE Neon
    I've been using Kubuntu for ages, but at home I've switched to KDE Neon. It gets the latest KDE (and more importantly Qt) much faster. On the other hand, it only tracks LTS releases, so you need PPAs to stay up to date with other things.

Originally posted by darkcoder View Post
    KDE/QT from being last a couple of years ago to kind of obliterating all GTK 3 desktops today in gaming!

Since people said KDE is a piece of garbage, then would like to know the results the day when it will rocks.
    I doubt KDE was ever that slow. But I think for ages it couldn't reliably disable compositing as needed and since Micheal tests using defaults it just ended up doing unnecessary stuff.
    In the years I've been using KDE it had many problems, but slowness was never one of them. At least not to me.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X