Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UBports' Fork Of Unity 8 Plans To Eventually Get On Wayland

Phoronix: UBports' Fork Of Unity 8 Plans To Eventually Get On Wayland

UBports is one of the leading teams right now planning a fork of the Unity 8 desktop now that it's being abandoned by Canonical. While a lead Mir developer hopes Mir will stick around and see compatibility with Wayland and Mark continues to believe in Mir, the UBports team is looking at getting Unity 8 on Wayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

long life Unity 8!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
      Competing forks of dead on arrival code. Wow, stupid.

good luck going nowhere.
      I agree. Now, wait for discontinued forks.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
        Competing forks of dead on arrival code. Wow, stupid.

good luck going nowhere.
        Why so toxic?

Comment

Originally posted by nazar-pc View Post

Why so toxic?
          Phoronix is a place where some people vent their personal frustrations, it happens all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by nazar-pc View Post

Why so toxic?
            It's Griffin, he's the "Gnome is god and I am his prophet" guy. Interacting with him is wasted effort.

Comment

Personally I have always liked the thought of convergence - and quite like Unity in its current form in Ubuntu (as Unity 7). I can't help the thought that if they had ditched Mir a long time ago and just went for Unity 8 on Wayland, we would have had Unity 8 in Ubuntu by now and less tension. However that is all alternative history by now....
              My best wishes to the folks who attempt to keep their dream alive - and a merry F**k Yourself to all the non-constructive toxic people.

Comment

Originally posted by Veto View Post
                Personally I have always liked the thought of convergence - and quite like Unity in its current form in Ubuntu (as Unity 7). I can't help the thought that if they had ditched Mir a long time ago and just went for Unity 8 on Wayland, we would have had Unity 8 in Ubuntu by now and less tension. However that is all alternative history by now....
                My best wishes to the folks who attempt to keep their dream alive - and a merry F**k Yourself to all the non-constructive toxic people.
                Me too which is why I supported the project by buying Ubuntu phone, but in the end it wasnt Mir that ended convergence, it was lack of interest of the industry for Linux convergence, Unity 8 and Mir were part of a bigger story which is convergence, not just to replace Unity 7 and X.org, once that story was no more due to lack of interest from the industry, continuing development of Unity 8 and Mir was no longer feasible and merely a waste of money. I hope some of the code will be used on other projects, at least Ubuntu Core and snaps were a success, adoption of Ubuntu Core on IoT has been very good, and snaps along with flatpak are the future of packaging Linux applications. I would like to see Unity 8 completed and ported to Wayland, many people like Unity and it would be a shame to have it disappear, though Unity 7 will remain a viable option for a while, at least until X.org is replaced, it will be in the archives and perhaps someone will even create a new Ubuntu flavor with it, I also hope that Canonical will make Gnome more Unity-like via extensions, I managed to do it pretty decently with extensions and some tweaking, but there is no support for global menu.

Comment

Well, you may have liked convergence, but since Ubuntu Phone is no more, there's nothing to converge with anymore.

Comment

Personally I have always liked the thought of convergence - and quite like Unity in its current form in Ubuntu (as Unity 7). I can't help the thought that if they had ditched Mir a long time ago and just went for Unity 8 on Wayland, we would have had Unity 8 in Ubuntu by now and less tension. ...
                    Less tension yes, but most likely not more mobile devices with Ubuntu, and therefore still little to no money for Canonical - and this would still mean (from a company perspective): wrong way.

Comment

Working...
                    X