No announcement yet.

UBports' Fork Of Unity 8 Plans To Eventually Get On Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I kind of like the idea of 2 unity forks. The needs for smartphones especially with closed drivers and desktop are not very compatible.

I wonder even why the mobile fork switches to Wayland? Wasn't it some copyright lisense stuff that was the reason to have mir?

If not was it really the most stupid desition ever made to have a 2nd display protocoll without any reason just to be incompatible.

If that would not been mark himself, the person made this desition should be fired.

Think about it 99% of the anger and hate from the community was not about unity but mir, and I am shure much more distros would have packaged it because it would be just one more desktop like cinemon or mate both are in fedora for a long time mate I think since fedora 19 and cinemon since 23.

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post

It's Griffin, he's the "Gnome is god and I am his prophet" guy. Interacting with him is wasted effort.
      Ubuntu is Gnome with a different shell.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
        I kind of like the idea of 2 unity forks. The needs for smartphones especially with closed drivers and desktop are not very compatible.
        Seems to be no problem on the desktop. We've got proprietary drivers there as well.

I wonder even why the mobile fork switches to Wayland? Wasn't it some copyright lisense stuff that was the reason to have mir?
        Mir's license was more restrictive than Wayland's.

If not was it really the most stupid desition ever made to have a 2nd display protocoll without any reason just to be incompatible.
        Yes, textbook example for NIH.

I am shure much more distros would have packaged it because it would be just one more desktop like cinemon or mate both are in fedora for a long time mate I think since fedora 19 and cinemon since 23.
        In theory yes, and some people have been trying hard all that time, but it quite simply is near impossible to package outside of Ubuntu.

Comment

Here's apparently one of the reasons to choose Mir over Wayland: http://blog.cooperteam.net/2013/03/s...rs-in-mir.html

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post

Forums are places where some people vent their personal frustrations, it happens all the time.
            You're welcome .

Comment

Well, I still think this is good news. IMO Unity8 was never the problem, it was Mir and Convergence. I actually think Unity8 will make a decent desktop, surely better that Unity7. So hopefully this fork is a success. If there are any developers out there interested in making an impact, this surely is one project where you might be able to do that.

Comment

Hm, I'm not sure I get it. Others have said that you'd have to rewrite Unity for it to work on Wayland rather than Mir. And if you port Mir to be a Wayland server, why bother doing anything more afterwards? You need a Wayland compositor to run a shell, might as well keep Mir as one.

And OK, now that there are two, it makes sense to call them forks.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
                  Competing forks of dead on arrival code. Wow, stupid.

good luck going nowhere.
                  They're not competing. One is focusing on desktop, and the other on the touch interface according to the UBPorts website, but it looks like they will collaborate.
                  Last edited by A-Singh; 09 April 2017, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                    Hm, I'm not sure I get it. Others have said that you'd have to rewrite Unity for it to work on Wayland rather than Mir. And if you port Mir to be a Wayland server, why bother doing anything more afterwards? You need a Wayland compositor to run a shell, might as well keep Mir as one.

And OK, now that there are two, it makes sense to call them forks.
                    That's where the line gets blurry though. The first option is to make Mir a Wayland compositor, the second option is to port Unity8 to Wayland directly. Basically everything I've read on it so far indicates the second option is going to be far easier and the first option may not even be technically possible to do.

Comment

Originally posted by nazar-pc View Post
                      Why so toxic?
                      Because it's not called GNOME. Griffin is a strong GNOME supporter.

Comment

Working...
                      X