GNOME Could Soon Have An Alternative To Microsoft Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gerii View Post
    If KolourPaint just had a selection tool where you could fix the aspect ratio it would be perfect. Is there any other simple GUI image manipulation tool that has this? (like Paint.net on Windows)
    What do you mean by that? You can scale selected area from mouse2 scaling option. Granted there's no preview on it and if you just want to change aspect ratio you have to use use some math to calculate other ratio(should be easy by using percentages).

Comment

Originally posted by Gerii View Post
      If KolourPaint just had a selection tool where you could fix the aspect ratio it would be perfect. Is there any other simple GUI image manipulation tool that has this? (like Paint.net on Windows)
      yes it has the option to edit it. Click the menu by the right button of the mouse so to get the tool: resize/scale, or click on the taskbar from imagine menu and select resize/scale, or type CTRL+E. I've tested different kind of easy editor and kolourpaint is resulted the more complete and immediate to edit image.
      Last edited by Azrael5; 07 April 2017, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
        I'll stick with MyPaint thanks. I see some still think a platform needs something from the early 90s to make it `friendly.'
        Bizarrely, we use MSPaint at work to mark up screenshots of software failures. So, it IS a useful thing to have around, sometimes. I'm just not completely sure how necessary it is.

It might be the case that one of the programmers on the Gnome project ran into the same use-case I had one day, tried to use GIMP for it, and then mumbled something along the lines of "I'm using a scalpel where I need a nuclear weapon." Or similar. You get the point.

Comment

about time. I currently use Kolourpaint, and it pulls in 100s of mbs of KDE libs. I would love a gnome native paint.

Paint apps are an utter essential. they can be used to quickly mark up photos, screenshots, etc... very, very very useful tool

Comment

Originally posted by Pepec9124 View Post
            Unless your distro has lazy maintainer it should only pull Qt5 deps.
            Qt5 deps is a lot of bloat if it's the only Qt-based program you're using. Remember, this is a paint program we're talking about here, so really anything beyond 5MB gets excessive. If you're using XFCE or GNOME, you can comfortably get by without installing Qt.

But if you do use other Qt apps, then yes, Kolourpaint isn't so bad.

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post

I didn't quite understand your use-case, but I encourage you to submit an issue on the bug tracker. I would be surprised if it was difficult to implement, and if it makes the software "perfect" for you, why not ask?

Reading the comments here makes me think there could be a use case for some kolourpaint appimage: 1-file executable with all the dependencies, pretty much mspaint.exe
              Thanks for all the answers, I guess I couldn't really explain my use-case. I'd like to crop out part of an image while still maintaining its aspect ratio, i.e. I don't want to have black borders when viewing the cropped image. Here's a video of what I'd like to achieve: https://youtu.be/bF8M2kkZKJg?t=44s

Comment

Will they add the ability to create 3D models in gnome paint? Microsoft paint is getting a major overhaul that includes being able to draw objects in 2D and then convert them into 3D models. https://techcrunch.com/2016/10/26/th...eators-update/

Comment

Originally posted by Niarbeht View Post

... we use MSPaint at work to mark up screenshots of software failures.
                  I would reach for Inkscape in this instance. Import the bitmap into a background layer, and I can draw vector markings on top of it, which can be easily added/removed, moved around, have their colour changed etc.

Comment

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
                    Will they add the ability to create 3D models in gnome paint?
                    Blender can do that, and you can also paint on your models in 3D.

But of course that’s not included in the $00 price for Gnome Paint, you have to pay a whole lot extra $0000 for Blender.

Comment

I'm actually quite surprised how many people are recommending KolourPaint here, given that it's basically a clone of MS Paint from before Windows 7. A good clone of an absolutely terrible piece of software, IMHO.

I wouldn't mind an alternative to Gimp/Krita for simple things, but please, please don't make this another MS Paint from the 90s.

Comment

Working...
                      X