X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to install Wine just to run mspaint.exe

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      It's mind boggling to me how Kolourpaint is pretty much the only good paint program for Linux, but if you're not using KDE, it needs a lot of dependencies. Most other tools are either tedious/difficult to use, less useful than MS Paint from Windows 3.1, has a stupid amount of dependencies, have many visual glitches, crashes often, and so on. Pinta is probably the 2nd best I've seen and it's frustratingly terrible compared to Kolourpaint.

So, I seriously hope Gnome Paint actually steps things up. Sometimes all I want is just a quick way to draw simple graphics and crop an image.
      Pinta is 2nd best indeed, except for the huge Mono dependency. If you're interested in yet another Paint app for Linux that works more like MS Paint, try mtPaint (esp. the latest betas are improving a lot upon the older, stable versions).

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        I used to install Wine just to run mspaint.exe
        I did too. And probably still will. Wine has less dependencies than GTK+ or Qt.

Comment

Originally posted by dbpalan View Post
          Why not web app?
          Yeah, there are some really nice .swf alternatives. Too bad it had to die.

And indeed, ubuntu don't have any program for cropping or adding text. I used to use the first result of google for 'online pic crop'. Or mtpaint, but it is not integrated well into nautilus, it can't open file directly.

Comment

Why are people talking about GIMP for painting, that's not it's intended design use as it's meant to be similar to Photoshop and not illustrator. Krita or Inkscape is far more suitable for drawing and painting.

Comment

Wow, Michael, your forum is the most mobile unfriendly site I've ever seen. I can't write a single post.

#12: thanks for the tip, I will check this

#20: this too

Comment

What!? TuxPaint is the only serious contender here!! Honestly, if you've never tried it then have a go, it's a blast. I was in Edinburgh's sick kids hospital the other day where they had old games consoles and MS Paint on Windows XP set up for the kids. I think the PC was offline (thank god) but I was still dreaming up ways to get TuxPaint onto it. My wife probably would have divorced me on the spot.

Comment

If you want something useful you build an alternative to Paint.net, not Paint.

Comment

No worries, just use LazPaint. It is fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerii View Post
                      If KolourPaint just had a selection tool where you could fix the aspect ratio it would be perfect. Is there any other simple GUI image manipulation tool that has this? (like Paint.net on Windows)
                      I didn't quite understand your use-case, but I encourage you to submit an issue on the bug tracker. I would be surprised if it was difficult to implement, and if it makes the software "perfect" for you, why not ask?

Reading the comments here makes me think there could be a use case for some kolourpaint appimage: 1-file executable with all the dependencies, pretty much mspaint.exe

Comment

Working...
                      X