GNOME Could Soon Have An Alternative To Microsoft Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VikingGe View Post
    I'm actually quite surprised how many people are recommending KolourPaint here, given that it's basically a clone of MS Paint from before Windows 7. A good clone of an absolutely terrible piece of software, IMHO.

I wouldn't mind an alternative to Gimp/Krita for simple things, but please, please don't make this another MS Paint from the 90s.
    search for a similar linux software able to implement both the right click menu and cut resize paste abilities on the same picture in easy way
    Last edited by Azrael5; 08 April 2017, 06:32 AM.

Comment

Azrael5 yeah... Paste as floating selection be good.
      I had a bit of luck with mtpaint after suggested in this thread but haven't used much yet.

Comment

Most people here appear to want simple screenshot annotation software, not paint applications.

The workflow being: take a screenshot straight into the application, add arrows, boxes, ovals, highlighter pen function, and text boxes (connected to arrows), ability to move around these annotations, save as png / share to email direct.

Plenty exist for Macs and presumably Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by ldo17 View Post

I would reach for Inkscape in this instance. Import the bitmap into a background layer, and I can draw vector markings on top of it, which can be easily added/removed, moved around, have their colour changed etc.

While this might not be a lot of work, it sure sounds like it. For comparison, "Press print-screen, open Paint, paste, use Paint" is something that everyone that needs to do it at our office already knows how to do.

Any replacement needs to be pretty simple and straightforward.

Comment

Originally posted by Niarbeht View Post

While this might not be a lot of work, it sure sounds like it. For comparison, "Press print-screen, open Paint, paste, use Paint" is something that everyone that needs to do it at our office already knows how to do.
            s/Paint/Inkscape/

Comment

s/Paint/Inkscape/
              Yeah, no, just downloaded and tried it, it requires a lot more fiddling than Paint does to accomplish the specified task.

"Has lots of features" is not always the same as "Is fit for a particular use case".

EDIT: The best part was after I wrote this post. It crashed when I selected the cursor tool. I'm sure this is less of an issue on non-Windows systems, but that's not the use case.
              Last edited by Niarbeht; 13 April 2017, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Yeah, no, just downloaded and tried it, it requires a lot more fiddling than Paint does to accomplish the specified task.
                “Specified task” of annotating screen shots for documentation purposes? Presumably staff who want to produce professional-quality results would want to use professional-quality tools. For example, this.

Comment

“Specified task” of annotating screen shots for documentation purposes? Presumably staff who want to produce professional-quality results would want to use professional-quality tools. For example, this.
                  You seem to be operating under a presumption somewhere. To quote my original post,

...we use MSPaint at work to mark up screenshots of software failures.
                  You don't send screenshots of your software failing to your customers in a nice, professional package. You send them to your other developers. The ones who need to see how the software is messing up. Paint does this. Paint does this very, very well.

Comment

Blender can do that, and you can also paint on your models in 3D.

But of course that’s not included in the $00 price for Gnome Paint, you have to pay a whole lot extra $0000 for Blender.
                    Too bad Blender's interface is garbage for my 3d modelling workflow. This is something which open source software is going to struggle with for a long time. I use Caligari TrueSpace, my housemate uses 3D Studio Max. Blender's UI is completely alien to both of us and we just can't use it. It's easier to spin up a VM of Windows or ReactOS running 3D Studio Max/TrueSpace (it mostly works in ReactOS) than it is to learn howto do everything again. This is why I'm currently re-writing 3D Studio Max and TrueSpace for Linux. As you can imagine that's a ridiculous project to attempt, the scope is absolutely terrifying. Frankly I don't think it'll ever match the windows programs like for like feature wise, but if it allows me to get modelling done for games I'll be satisfied with it.

Comment

Just in time for Microsoft to drop paint

Comment

Working...
                      X