Chrome/Chromium Lands Initial Support For Native Linux Desktop Notifications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    I'm a bit surprised it took them so long. It's not like this is the most complicated thing to implement.
    If I'm remembering correctly, Google created the initial Web Notifications draft and proof of concept and notifications were implemented as tiny HTML documents that were rendered in tiny popup windows.

The higher-level API that can be translated to platform-native APIs came later and, when it did, Chrome devs just stuck in a built-in HTML template to translate the high-level API to their existing notifications code.

Comment

Amazing news. I've been getting tired of notifications disregarding what I do on the desktop. Movies, games, whatever, doesn't matter what Chrome's gonna give a neat little white rectangle.

Comment

Yeah, this function is certainly not going to bring with it a ton of new security issues, spamming and whatnot... No thanks.

Comment

People need hardware accelerated video decoding more than this.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
            People need hardware accelerated video decoding more than this.
            I'm part of "people" and I don't need hardware accelerated video. I just want those ugly, tiny-ass notification windows to begone and have a nice native notification whenever I download something.

Comment

I freed about 700MB of ram usage on my 2GB chromebook just by turning off desktop notifications for whatsapp and gmail.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I'm part of "people" and I don't need hardware accelerated video. I just want those ugly, tiny-ass notification windows to begone and have a nice native notification whenever I download something.
                Pretty much anyone using a laptop either needs or wants it. Software decoding = more heat and less battery life. IMO it's ridiculous that chrome/firefox still have no hardware decoding on linux (chrome especially has no good excuse considering that chromium already has working vaapi acceleration code that they refuse to enable or eve give linux users a flag to enable).

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post

Pretty much anyone using a laptop either needs or wants it. Software decoding = more heat and less battery life. IMO it's ridiculous that chrome/firefox still have no hardware decoding on linux (chrome especially has no good excuse considering that chromium already has working vaapi acceleration code that they refuse to enable or eve give linux users a flag to enable).
                  I'm using a laptop but I don't want hardware acceleration, my battery life (and heat distribution) is already good without it. I want better Linux notifications that are readable. Native notifications solve that.

Comment

Working...
                  X