Solus Integrates Clear Linux's clr-boot-manager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kneekoo View Post
    Sweet! What about new ISOs with the latest changes?
    I can hook you up

Comment

Originally posted by ikey_solus View Post

"still" ? We have NVIDIA 375.39 which is the latest long lived stable branch. The short lived branches tend to have problems. It's hardly an old driver. Any reason you need newer?
      I absolutely need newer. I frequently game and buy new releases which perform best or sometimes flat out require the latest Nvidia drivers. Arch and Gentoo are both on 378.13 which has enhancements to threaded GL. I'm not on a laptop but if I was I'd also appreciate the PRIME enhancements for Intel/Nvidia systems.

Either way I'd be much more likely to try out this distro if it had support for Nvidia drivers from the stable branch (not the long-lived one).

Edit: Also, I have a GTX 1080 so this doesn't apply to me, but the long lived drivers do not appear to support the 1080 ti which came out a couple weeks ago, so you're missing hardware support as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Vash63 View Post

I'm not on a laptop but if I was I'd also appreciate the PRIME enhancements for Intel/Nvidia systems.
        Difference is - I test this stuff. We attempted xorg 1.19 again last night, and in short:

- intel_drv.so suffers massive visual artefacts
        - Optimus systems fail to boot using nouveau, you MUST install proprietary drivers
        - Tearing is NOT solved. It's still god awful. With compiz+mate its more bearable.
        - AMD Hybrid GPU systems with open drivers also fail to boot.

So we'd all appreciate the things promised by New Things, the reality is they need testing, and in the case of X.Org 1.19, its very, very sick.
        You can look at the solus build page, I'm reverting xorg 1.19 as we speak.

Comment

"still" ? We have NVIDIA 375.39 which is the latest long lived stable branch. The short lived branches tend to have problems. It's hardly an old driver. Any reason you need newer?
          Developers and gamers like to use (or test) the latest improvements. Including me. Also, if no one uses the short lived branch, then the long lived branch will have the same problems.

I propose offering both.

EDIT: I'm referring to NVidia drivers, not X.Org versions.
          Last edited by indepe; 01 April 2017, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Difference is - I test this stuff. We attempted xorg 1.19 again last night, and in short:

- intel_drv.so suffers massive visual artefacts
            - Optimus systems fail to boot using nouveau, you MUST install proprietary drivers
            - Tearing is NOT solved. It's still god awful. With compiz+mate its more bearable.
            - AMD Hybrid GPU systems with open drivers also fail to boot.

So we'd all appreciate the things promised by New Things, the reality is they need testing, and in the case of X.Org 1.19, its very, very sick.
            You can look at the solus build page, I'm reverting xorg 1.19 as we speak.
            That's only one of the points in my post, and the one I didn't have direct experience on. Most importantly there's driver optimizations for new game releases with Nvidia's updates - with the long lived branch I'd be getting lower framerates. And again, if I had a GTX 1080 ti I couldn't use your distribution.

You can update the Nvidia driver separately from xorg-server.

Comment

Working...
            X