GNOME's GTK Gets Gtef'ed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Hex editors can show binary too, btw. The name is generic for any software that can be used to see and edit a binary file without fucking it up with line termination or whatever other invisible (formatting) ASCII characters text editors usually add to text files without you even noticing.
    Hex editors show things in hex.

Comment

You can do wrong with C++ too...
      It wasn’t about “going wrong”. It was about bloated GUI IDEs.

Comment

Even if it is in javascript it runs much better than average for an IDE.
        Which would seem to contradict what you said about “less bullshit than others written in ... Javascript or whatever other technology, just be virtue of being written in C++”.

Comment

Originally posted by ldo17 View Post
          Hex editors show things in hex.
          Also in binary on user request for better ones, and nearly always in ASCII on the side of hex. We aren't in the 80s anymore, feature creep is everywhere.
          With Ghex I can select a 2-number hex in a binary file and edit its binary value for example.

It wasn’t about “going wrong”. It was about bloated GUI IDEs.
          Sorry I thought that by "bloated" you meant "poor performance", and in that case C++ is usually far better.
          As for GUI, most IDEs let you change the GUI to suit your workflow so who cares how the default GUI is like anyway.
          If by "bloated" you mean that having a GUI an ide is bad and that CLI is better, (as also from your post history you seem to favor CLI), then that's plain bullshit, period.

Which would seem to contradict what you said about “less bullshit than others written in ... Javascript or whatever other technology, just be virtue of being written in C++”.
          I said "orders of magnitude less bullshit" there, note that "orders of magnitude less bullshit" > "less bullshit" so there is no contradiction in what I said.
          Last edited by starshipeleven; 26 March 2017, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Also in binary on user request for better ones, and nearly always in ASCII on the side of hex.
            Emacs is a wonderful editor. I’m sure somebody has done a hex-editor mode for it, but I didn’t need it. One of the nice things about Emacs is that it can treat a file as just a sequence of bytes, it doesn’t need to impose assumptions about nulls or line separators.

Comment

Yeah, it does. Even if it is in javascript it runs much better than average for an IDE.
              A recent Visual Studio Code bug was that it used 15% of a 3GHz CPU just to blink the cursor on and off.

That one did turn out to be Chromium's fault, sort of. It was running 60 Hz full screen updates for the cursor animation.

Comment

Emacs is a wonderful editor. I’m sure somebody has done a hex-editor mode for it, but I didn’t need it. One of the nice things about Emacs is that it can treat a file as just a sequence of bytes, it doesn’t need to impose assumptions about nulls or line separators.

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post

That one did turn out to be Chromium's fault, sort of. It was running 60 Hz full screen updates for the cursor animation.
                  Layers of code bloat. But it was layers of C++ code bloat, so presumably that made it all right...

Comment

Layers of code bloat. But it was layers of C++ code bloat, so presumably that made much less bad than with other languages...
                    Fixed (never said it was right).

Eclipse (java) manages to 100% any CPU in spikes at random times, or lag whenever it needs to load stuff, and it's not even a bug. Can we please not put decent IDEs in the same boat with total bullshit ones?

Comment

Eclipse (java) manages to 100% any CPU in spikes at random times ...
                      And C++ cannot?

Comment

Working...
                      X