Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome 58 Beta Supports IndexedDB 2.0, New Developer Features

Phoronix: Chrome 58 Beta Supports IndexedDB 2.0, New Developer Features

Google developers are busy today not only with the Android O Developer Preview but the Chrome team has delivered the first public beta for the upcoming Chrome 58.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I am still waiting for GTK 3 support, and Wayland support...
    But seems the wait is long...

Comment

A lot of people prefer Chrome over Firefox. I surely understand this in the general population, but when it comes to a site as Phoronix, I'm sometimes a bit puzzled by the number of people using/praising it.

From my point of view, Chrome/Chromium is not a valid alternative as long as it doesn't let you opt out of Google services. Even though Chromium is open source, it feels like it's serving Google's purposes much more so than users'. Not even being able of installing a proper ad-blocking solution is unacceptable to me. I say this in reference to ads not being shown, but ad servers being contacted anyway.

In any case, this is what I remember from a few years back. Has the situation improved? In my book, Chrome is a big no-no.

Wrt Phoronix (awesome site Michael), I pay a subscription precisely because I still want to support some sites. Some websites I also whitelist.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        There seems to have been heavily activity over the last month to get gtk3 as default, but looks like they've been dealing with some breakage:

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post
          A lot of people prefer Chrome over Firefox. I surely understand this in the general population, but when it comes to a site as Phoronix, I'm sometimes a bit puzzled by the number of people using/praising it.

From my point of view, Chrome/Chromium is not a valid alternative as long as it doesn't let you opt out of Google services. Even though Chromium is open source, it feels like it's serving Google's purposes much more so than users'. Not even being able of installing a proper ad-blocking solution is unacceptable to me. I say this in reference to ads not being shown, but ad servers being contacted anyway.

In any case, this is what I remember from a few years back. Has the situation improved? In my book, Chrome is a big no-no.

Wrt Phoronix (awesome site Michael), I pay a subscription precisely because I still want to support some sites. Some websites I also whitelist.
          Yeah that's one of the reasons I run Firefox even though Chromium does do some things seemingly quite better. Like proper hardware acceleration in videos, like on YouTube, which has always frustrated me that that doesn't work properly in FF. Enabling the experimental flags for hw accel just makes cpu usage go crazy and makes things worse somehow.

But I can never get past the icky feeling of something so Google connected. Same reason I only connect an old Chromebook I have to the Internet when I absolutely have to (it has a real nice keyboard so I like writing on it in a terminal in Vim haha and it's extremely battery efficient).

Comment

wait, hold up - stop for a minute...

trailing commas are now allowed in JavaScript for formal parameter and argument lists
            ZOMGWHAT

is this part of a spec now?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              If you're waiting for GTK3 support, then you've missed the latest news: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/03/g...tk3-by-default

Comment

Such a shitload of wanted and unwanted features in Chrome but Google doesn't handle the Space bar on youtube properly. So many people have complained yet the response is doublethink: you don't need this to be fixed and yes it can be fixed but do it yourself (good luck with that haha, we're Google we're too busy).

Comment

Originally posted by ElderSnake View Post
                  Yeah that's one of the reasons I run Firefox even though Chromium does do some things seemingly quite better. Like proper hardware acceleration in videos, like on YouTube, which has always frustrated me that that doesn't work properly in FF. Enabling the experimental flags for hw accel just makes cpu usage go crazy and makes things worse somehow.[...]
                  Chrome on wayland doesn't do hardware acceleration. So it's not any worse. I really like wayland, because with wayland and mpv I can watch video without tearing. And then I do have hardware acceleration.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilfred View Post
                    Chrome on wayland doesn't do hardware acceleration. So it's not any worse. I really like wayland, because with wayland and mpv I can watch video without tearing. And then I do have hardware acceleration.
                    Yes I do agree there, Wayland has been a godsend for me, acceleration or not. Screen tearing in videos was my absolute bane the past few years.

Comment

Working...
                    X