Mozilla Proposes "Obsidian" Low-Level Graphics API For The Web, Based On Vulkan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
    Ah, this will probably piss off some people who recently commented that Vulkan is insufficient to work in web browsers.
    But this isn't Vulkan.... "The API has to be efficiently implementable in at least Vulkan and Metal, and likely D3D12 as well. Implementability on D3D11 and OpenGL is not a constraint."

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Click on 4000 fish.

Firefox 52 gets 17-23 fps.
      Chrome 58 gets 40-42 fps.
      Edge gets 60 fps.

Click on 400 fish.
      Firefox 52 gets 20-25 fps.
      Chrome gets 42-44 fps.
      Edge gets 50-53 fps.
      Ummm, what? I don't run Windows.
      ​​​​​i provided a third party benchmark result.
      iirc, ff has had a better implementation for webgl than chrome for awhile (going back to tomshardware browser grand prix).
      If you're getting results that bad something might be wrong with your setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Boland View Post

But this isn't Vulkan.... "The API has to be efficiently implementable in at least Vulkan and Metal, and likely D3D12 as well. Implementability on D3D11 and OpenGL is not a constraint."
        Then the tittle should be changed 'cause "Based on Vulkan" says to me that it is Vulkan under the hood.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post

Ummm, what? I don't run Windows.
          ​​​​​i provided a third party benchmark result.
          iirc, ff has had a better implementation for webgl than chrome for awhile (going back to tomshardware browser grand prix).
          If you're getting results that bad something might be wrong with your setup.
          It is in my own experience. From my own experience on two different machines, the performance between Edge fastest, Chrome coming in second, and Firefox last.
          You can do that test on Linux tho and see that Chromium comes ahead of Firefox.

Comment

It is in my own experience. From my own experience on two different machines, the performance between Edge fastest, Chrome coming in second, and Firefox last.
            You can do that test on Linux tho and see that Chromium comes ahead of Firefox.
            aquarium
            chrome 20
            ff 13

fishgl
            chrome 14
            ff 10

Not a big difference with my igpu

Comment

Well Internet Explorer 11, Edge, and Chrome all have much better WebGL performance than Firefox. So I don't know if Mozilla is the right candidate to propose any graphics API.
              Mozilla along with Kronos created WebGL and WebGL 2. Mozilla also created WebVR, so I'd say they're the perfect organisation to propose Obsidian.

Comment

Working...
              X