KDE Plasma Planning Browser Integration, Possible Touchpad Gestures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I don't think it's getting faster, as much moving towards more visible things. Till now, most of the activity revolved around qt5, modularization of KDE Frameworks, stuff not directly visible to the user that takes a lot of effort to see through.
    it also got popularity i guess....

Comment

Features over features mean bugs over bugs.
      Please, fix first! (<-Link)
      Kde 4 was bugged as hell at start; and as soon as it worked fine and almost bugless, they decided to drop it.
      Are they gonna do the same?

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Nice try, but QupZilla is actually packaged in a lot of distros as you can see here:
        And not mentioned on there but Solus also has it packaged.
        QupZilla also provides an AppImage.
        And building from source is not that hard, I'm building it from Git Master regularly and it's really easy. You just need the Qt devel packages and basic stuff like automake and that's it.
        Sure, a lot of distros package it, but the developer isn't packaging it anymore, so on a lot of distros you don't get the latest version. Ubuntu has the crusty old version 1.8.9, and there's no ppa with anything more recent.

From my own experience on KDE Neon, it was a bit of a pain hunting down which dependencies I needed to build Qupzilla from source. It wasn't THAT hard, and not hard at all once you get those dependencies, but the first time hunt is a pain in the ass. Like, if you asked me now, I don't remember which packages I needed to build the darn thing, so when I have to do it agian, well....

Comment

ROFL, you just made my day.
          Why? Automake is one of the most used tools when it comes to compiling so it's part of the basic stuff to install when you want to compile something...

Comment

Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post

Sure, a lot of distros package it, but the developer isn't packaging it anymore, so on a lot of distros you don't get the latest version. Ubuntu has the crusty old version 1.8.9, and there's no ppa with anything more recent.

From my own experience on KDE Neon, it was a bit of a pain hunting down which dependencies I needed to build Qupzilla from source. It wasn't THAT hard, and not hard at all once you get those dependencies, but the first time hunt is a pain in the ass. Like, if you asked me now, I don't remember which packages I needed to build the darn thing, so when I have to do it agian, well....
            Wrong. There's a PPA with a newer version: https://launchpad.net/~blaze/+archive/ubuntu/test
            Or if you don't want a dev version, this PPA has a more recent version as well: https://launchpad.net/~clivejo/+archive/ubuntu/zesty

Comment

Why? Automake is one of the most used tools when it comes to compiling so it's part of the basic stuff to install when you want to compile something...
              Yes, but the tool itself is anything but basic. I'm a Java (and others) guy and I still cringe at the thought of having to use automake. And I know C/C++ guys that feel the same.
              I mean, sure, "checkout this, untar, cd, ./configure, make, make install" may look pretty basic. But setting up a project to work like that is far, far from basic.

Comment

Yes, but the tool itself is anything but basic. I'm a Java (and others) guy and I still cringe at the thought of having to use automake. And I know C/C++ guys that feel the same.
                I mean, sure, "checkout this, untar, cd, ./configure, make, make install" may look pretty basic. But setting up a project to work like that is far, far from basic.
                I'm pretty sure you've misunderstood me. When I responded to you initially, we were talking about COMPILING. As an END USER. So the fact that automake might be difficult for programmers is a moot point, really as we weren't talking about developers but about end users. For most end users (esp. Linux users), it's basic: it's one package and 3 easy-to-remember commands. That's all I've said. So please stop confusing this thread with your posts about developers, that's NOT the point here.

Comment

I'm pretty sure you've misunderstood me. When I responded to you initially, we were talking about COMPILING. As an END USER. So the fact that automake might be difficult for programmers is a moot point, really as we weren't talking about developers but about end users. For most end users (esp. Linux users), it's basic: it's one package and 3 easy-to-remember commands. That's all I've said. So please stop confusing this thread with your posts about developers, that's NOT the point here.
                  You still said automake is basic. Which it isn't
                  You meant "a few basic commands" (which would be about right), but you typed something else.

Comment

You still said automake is basic. Which it isn't
                    You meant "a few basic commands" (which would be about right), but you typed something else.
                    I didn't say automake is basic, I said it's part of the basic things to install when you want to start compiling. See my first post where I was literally talking about "basic packages like Qt devel and automake".

Comment

Working...
                    X