A Look At The Changes & New Features Of GNOME 3.24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by liam View Post
    Please tell me what kind of functionality you feel is being locked away?​​​​​​
    I just don't have any control over anything in the OS, rather it's the other way around...
    For instance, i download a file and it gets saved wherever. I don't choose where. And then i need a map to find it, and even then i can't find it... There's absolutely zero control over the filsystem, files just get thrown into the limbo and when i need something there i go into the limbo searching for a file that i just downloaded, but can't find because everything is in the same place! And everytime i open a folder, another window pops up!? What the hell?!...

And this is just about the aspect of file organization...
    I could go on like this about other aspects of OSX, but i'm lazy.

OSX is good looking, fast and reliable/safe. But there are aspects that could've and should've improved/changed DECADES ago...
    And even with these flaws, is still the best choice for many people. Just not for me...

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

It's less bloated than gnome. It's running much better on old laptops.
      it is? LMFAO

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
        It's less bloated than gnome. It's running much better on old laptops.
        I think the main reason why KDE might be faster on old laptops is that it doesn't require 3D acceleration (OpenGL). Gnome requires.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post

I just don't have any control over anything in the OS, rather it's the other way around...
          For instance, i download a file and it gets saved wherever. I don't choose where. And then i need a map to find it, and even then i can't find it... There's absolutely zero control over the filsystem, files just get thrown into the limbo and when i need something there i go into the limbo searching for a file that i just downloaded, but can't find because everything is in the same place! And everytime i open a folder, another window pops up!? What the hell?!...
          Just like GNOME, mac defaults to downloads (/Users/$userName/Downloads).

You can change the default for each browser just as you do on Linux.

Osx has quite a lot of power hidden. Just as in Linux, you need to learn how it works before you can make best use of it.
          ​​​
          ​​​​
          And this is just about the aspect of file organization...
          I could go on like this about other aspects of OSX, but i'm lazy.

OSX is good looking, fast and reliable/safe. But there are aspects that could've and should've improved/changed DECADES ago...
          And even with these flaws, is still the best choice for many people. Just not for me...
          You've not listed anything that isn't easily changed.
          I get the laziness, so i won't push, but i would strongly suggest you research the internals of mac a little bit (amit singh used to heavily blog about osx).
          For the desktop, i don't really don't know what it is missing other than not being oss.

Comment

Just like GNOME, mac defaults to downloads (/Users/$userName/Downloads).

Osx has quite a lot of power hidden. Just as in Linux, you need to learn how it works before you can make best use of it.
            ​​​
            ​​​​

You've not listed anything that isn't easily changed.
            I get the laziness, so i won't push, but i would strongly suggest you research the internals of mac a little bit (amit singh used to heavily blog about osx).
            For the desktop, i don't really don't know what it is missing other than not being oss.
            I get your point.
            I also get Apple's point: remove power so that users don't mess things up.
            All i ask is this: easy switch > turn on 'Expert Mode', or something like that... So that i don't need to go to a University to learn how to use a Mac... Because if that's what Apple forces me to, i use something else.
            Also, if i have to spend a day customizing an OS to suit my needs/tasts, why shouldn't i look for something that already suits me?

Comment

You don't need to do that on Linux. Linux has the XDG_DOWNLOAD_DIR that allows you to configure it once and have it change in every browser.

My wife switched to a Mac a few months ago has the same problem as nomadewolf, she has absolutely no idea where her files end up or how to locate them. It isn't just downloads, files saved in various programs seem to end up in random locations, locations that the file manager doesn't give you easy access to.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post

I get your point.
                I also get Apple's point: remove power so that users don't mess things up.
                All i ask is this: easy switch > turn on 'Expert Mode', or something like that... So that i don't need to go to a University to learn how to use a Mac... Because if that's what Apple forces me to, i use something else.
                Also, if i have to spend a day customizing an OS to suit my needs/tasts, why shouldn't i look for something that already suits me?
                Mac isn't that hard. It's definitely easier than linux (the commandline really is optional...but it's still there, and it's very powerful).
                However, if you don't have interest in learning another environment, I can't sympathize.
                All I wanted to do was dispel the idea that mac is some kind of kids toy, and not fit for real work.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                  You don't need to do that on Linux. Linux has the XDG_DOWNLOAD_DIR that allows you to configure it once and have it change in every browser.
                  On mac, you don't have to do anything to get best in class battery life.
                  Again, if I were more rational, I'd just use mac. I know I can make it into a system that is a better fit for me than any linux DE I've yet found, and I'll get a wider variety of software (plus anything that's on linux that I'd care to run).

My wife switched to a Mac a few months ago has the same problem as nomadewolf, she has absolutely no idea where her files end up or how to locate them. It isn't just downloads, files saved in various programs seem to end up in random locations, locations that the file manager doesn't give you easy access to.
                  So, finder has a number of views (and a really cool feature called Smart Folders, whose like I've not seen anywhere else), and integrates well with spotlight.
                  What's her default view for Finder? Columns are nice, but if you have deep hierarchies that view becomes a nuisance. Sorting by Creation Date (which osx actually has---but linux is getting with 4.11) can be useful. However, without a bit more info I'm not really sure how to help. I'm hardly an expert with a mac

Comment

Mac isn't that hard. It's definitely easier than linux (the commandline really is optional...but it's still there, and it's very powerful).
                    However, if you don't have interest in learning another environment, I can't sympathize.
                    All I wanted to do was dispel the idea that mac is some kind of kids toy, and not fit for real work.
                    Mac is the easiest OS, as long as you stick to the basics: docs, web, music & videos... Anything more than that, or if you try to step out of the Apple ecosystem (iPad, iPhone, AppleTV, iPod...) things start to get dire...
                    Also, have you tried Linux Mint (easy to use) or Elementary OS (MacOS clone IMO)?

Of course i have all the interest in learning other environments, i'am a Linux user and distro hopper. But i value liberty. That's the core of Linux. And that's MacOS' krypntonite.

I didn't meant it in that way. Mac is no kids toy at all. It's BSD based and we get access to the Terminal (thank god!). But i wouldn't be too surprised if Apple removed access to the Terminal with an update...
                    But that's just it: i end up having to resort to the terminal to do stuff that i can easily do in the UIs of Linux or Windows...

Comment

On mac, you don't have to do anything to get best in class battery life.
                      Or, in other words, "look, squirrel!".

So, finder has a number of views (and a really cool feature called Smart Folders, whose like I've not seen anywhere else), and integrates well with spotlight.
                      What's her default view for Finder? Columns are nice, but if you have deep hierarchies that view becomes a nuisance. Sorting by Creation Date (which osx actually has---but linux is getting with 4.11) can be useful. However, without a bit more info I'm not really sure how to help. I'm hardly an expert with a mac
                      Your claim is that it is "easier than linux". When by default the file manager doesn't provide a way to get to your home folder or most of the key subdirectories like the documents directory without going through root on the desktop, then no, it isn't easier. If your OS either doesn't have a set of APIs to provide a consistent place to put files or most applications don't respect it, then no it isn't easier. If you have to reconfigure practically every application individually to save files locally rather than on some random cloud service, then no it isn't easier.

You and and I have very different definitions of "easy". Your argument basically boils down "Os X is easier if you are willing to individually reconfigure every application to behave in a somewhat sane manner". Yes, I agree that Os X used to be easier than Linux. But after using the recent version, I can safely say that the default behavior on Linux is much easier to work with than the default behavior on the latest Os X, and it is easier to change that behavior if you want on Linux than it is on Os X.

Comment

Working...
                      X