• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    both are present, don't forget reality check
    Where exactly is that functionality?

programmers of extensions, users of extensions just enable extensions. same shit with programmers of any de.
    1) basic functionality is available without extensions. i am using zero extensions
    2) all de's are written exclusively with programming hacks. the only choice is whether devs shove their hacks down user's throats unconditionally or not
    3) i assume you are using web browser without support for extensions, what is its name lol?
    You are pretty brave to use GNOME 3 without any extensions. However your needs =/= everyone else’s needs, hence the existence of the extensions. Given their usage, you really would think they would work to document the API, but given how GTK+ 3 API was essentially unstable till around 3.20 when they finally sorted out theming I'm not surprised.

Comment

Personal opinion:

I like the way gnome improves in every release. I'm a daily Gnome3 user, and whenever I have to use KDE trying to fix obscure matters of my (it has to look like windows then it's good) colleagues, I really wonder how bad the workflow in KDE is. It's just unstable as heck, seemingly not adopting with technology and behind, and really annoying just cluttered. It's "put 500 options in a dialog and don't care if it makes any sense" attitude is horrid. You really need to adopt a serious sense of filte mechanism in your brain to navigate and get your work done. I understand the "users should have alle the power" attitude behind that, but if that could lead into serious UI Fuckup KDE excelled to the most. Gnome does a tremendous better job on offering the users just whats needed.

My personal history of used Linux "DEs": Windowmaker, Gnome 1.4, some few month with KDE3, then longtime Gnome2 and now Gnome3 for some years and some to follow as it seems. Yes there was short period I tried to use modern KDE again, mostly due to bugs making gnome shell slow over time, having to restart it twice a day, but I went back before that got fixed. It was just less a pain than mastering KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post
        Personal opinion:

I like the way gnome improves in every release. I'm a daily Gnome3 user, and whenever I have to use KDE trying to fix obscure matters of my (it has to look like windows then it's good) colleagues, I really wonder how bad the workflow in KDE is. It's just unstable as heck, seemingly not adopting with technology and behind, and really annoying just cluttered. It's "put 500 options in a dialog and don't care if it makes any sense" attitude is horrid. You really need to adopt a serious sense of filte mechanism in your brain to navigate and get your work done. I understand the "users should have alle the power" attitude behind that, but if that could lead into serious UI Fuckup KDE excelled to the most. Gnome does a tremendous better job on offering the users just whats needed.

My personal history of used Linux "DEs": Windowmaker, Gnome 1.4, some few month with KDE3, then longtime Gnome2 and now Gnome3 for some years and some to follow as it seems. Yes there was short period I tried to use modern KDE again, mostly due to bugs making gnome shell slow over time, having to restart it twice a day, but I went back before that got fixed. It was just less a pain than mastering KDE.
        Where I work, we used to offer GNOME 3 as default on our Linux machines, until Students complained about the UI being difficult to use. Next the IT support team included a few extensions be default (like Dash to Dock) however they found the extensions caused stability issues and increased memory consumption. In the end we offered XFCE as default with GNOME as an option. GNOME will be removed next year when we get new machines.

Comment

there is a taskbar extension for that
          all your power is here https://extensions.gnome.org/
          I admit that i never followed the 'extensions' route... mostly because i was afraid that some update would break something.
          Have you ever had any problem with it?

The way i approached it was trying to get to use it vanilla.

I'll give it another go and see how it works out.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Just use the GNOME Classic session via the classic extensions. It makes your GNOME 3 feel and behave pretty much like GNOME 2 except that applications now have headerbars. You get a top and a bottom bar, with Application and Places on your top, and all your open applications on the bottom bar.
            Gnome classic is not an option. I'd rather use Gnome vanilla... and we all know how that turned out... i won't force myself to use software that doens't suit my needs/preferences when there's perfectly good software that fits perfectly out there.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post

This meme really needs to die.
              The apple desktop is super powerful, but, ootb, it just works. If you want to script arbitrary actions, you can do it. There's options for terminals, extensions for window management (really slick ones), fantastic battery life and even good performance.
              Osx is why i wonder wth gnome is trying to do. It sure as hell doesn't have the post of osx.
              I don't think it's a meme. And i'm not trying to bash Apple os OSX.
              There are people who need OSX. The reasons may vary: they lack the will to learn, or the time, or they just don't care. Whatever the reason is, it's perfectly valid, as long as their happy with it.
              Does it just work? Yes.
              Is it fast? Hell yeah!
              Do you get awesome battery life? Absolutely!
              But it locks away a lot of funcionality and options. The navigation is made in a way that makes it simpler, but takes moar time... The file explorer is terrible. It's way too simple for power users, like me.

It's not bad. It just isn't for some people, and i happen to be one of those people.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post

KDE not bloated? umm yeah ok. i can see your a Shuttleworth asslicker
                It's less bloated than gnome. It's running much better on old laptops.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post

KDE is bloated in many ways. They even managed to be bloated on bugs. No wonder the KDE users and developers are abandoning ship.
                  Did you forget how gnome developers fix their bugs? They make a new release.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post

Gnome classic is not an option. I'd rather use Gnome vanilla... and we all know how that turned out... i won't force myself to use software that doens't suit my needs/preferences when there's perfectly good software that fits perfectly out there.
                    GNOME Shell does not appeal to me, so I use GNOME Classic and find it really good.
                    The first version of GNOME Classic was a bit tacky, but its gotten really good.

I find GNOME Classic to be great and suits my needs and preferences just in the way GNOME 2.32 did.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post

I don't think it's a meme. And i'm not trying to bash Apple os OSX.
                      There are people who need OSX. The reasons may vary: they lack the will to learn, or the time, or they just don't care. Whatever the reason is, it's perfectly valid, as long as their happy with it.
                      Does it just work? Yes.
                      Is it fast? Hell yeah!
                      Do you get awesome battery life? Absolutely!
                      But it locks away a lot of funcionality and options. The navigation is made in a way that makes it simpler, but takes moar time... The file explorer is terrible. It's way too simple for power users, like me.

It's not bad. It just isn't for some people, and i happen to be one of those people.
                      It's a meme because people will repeat, and believe, it. It's knowledge by contagion.

An Internet meme (/miːm/ MEEM) is an activity, concept, catchphrase or piece of media which spreads, often as mimicry, from person to person via the Internet.

However, it doesn't matter what you call it.
                      Where I'm coming from is having used mac in school, then moved to linux pretty much exclusively. My gf, however has a mac for work (we put Linux on it and it was not a fun thing to keep working), so I've had loads of chances to play with it. My point being that the only reason why i won't buy an apple product (for myself) is ideological. If i were more rational I'd move right to osx.
                      You also forgot a reason for moving to osx: because the person perceives that it better suits their needs.
                      Please tell me what kind of functionality you feel is being locked away?
                      The file browser is rather good, and you can add functionality through third party software (recently we added a daemon which patches Finder so that you can choose color icons rather than symbolic----you might be able to do the same in GNOME but it is possible it would be harder and likely that it would break during arbitrary updates).
                      ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                      X