No announcement yet.

A Look At The Changes & New Features Of GNOME 3.24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While I much prefer Plasma's workflow for day to day, the Gnome folks sure are not assing about when it comes to both stability and wayland support.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post

While it looks good and it's now stable and feature rich, i really can't adapt to the new paradigm.
      I swear i really tried, but it's so frustrating not being able to see all my open apps without having to click anything, or taking twice the steps to do a simple task, or having usefull features shaved off of software like the file browser... you get the point.

For me, all KDE needs to do is grab their start menu and instead of having the bottom tabs horizontaly disposed as they do and place them vertically at the left and voilá! The whole DE gets fixed...

The Gnome devs chose the Apple way: assume the users are computer iliterates...
      There are people who like 'simpler' DEs with less stuff to worry about.
      I prefer the power to do whatever i want and that means i have to chose a different DE.
      This meme really needs to die.
      The apple desktop is super powerful, but, ootb, it just works. If you want to script arbitrary actions, you can do it. There's options for terminals, extensions for window management (really slick ones), fantastic battery life and even good performance.
      Osx is why i wonder wth gnome is trying to do. It sure as hell doesn't have the post of osx.

Comment

am I the only one finding totally annoying the size/height of the windows top bar (title bar?)?.. on laptops it takes way too much vertical estate!

Comment

I'm still personally opposed to the web browser due to it enabling ad-blocking by default and its impact on web publishers
          Maybe web publishers should stop abusing users privacy with tracking ads.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
            Nice review. GNOME had another great development cycle. They moved further ahead of the competition.
            Just who are you sucking up to and is it working?

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
              am I the only one finding totally annoying the size/height of the windows top bar (title bar?)?.. on laptops it takes way too much vertical estate!
              GNOME design: saving space since 2009 (or so)

If you compare Nautilus and Caja (MATE file manager), the Nautilus top bar takes three times less space...

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post

While it looks good and it's now stable and feature rich, i really can't adapt to the new paradigm.
                I swear i really tried, but it's so frustrating not being able to see all my open apps without having to click anything, or taking twice the steps to do a simple task, or having usefull features shaved off of software like the file browser... you get the point.

For me, all KDE needs to do is grab their start menu and instead of having the bottom tabs horizontaly disposed as they do and place them vertically at the left and voilá! The whole DE gets fixed...

The Gnome devs chose the Apple way: assume the users are computer iliterates...
                There are people who like 'simpler' DEs with less stuff to worry about.
                I prefer the power to do whatever i want and that means i have to chose a different DE.
                Just use the GNOME Classic session via the classic extensions. It makes your GNOME 3 feel and behave pretty much like GNOME 2 except that applications now have headerbars. You get a top and a bottom bar, with Application and Places on your top, and all your open applications on the bottom bar.

Comment

Originally posted by ThanosRules View Post
                  Can nautilus and gedit run with superuser rights under wayland or not yet?
                  By design Wayland does not allow graphical applications to run via sudo.
                  The applications must make use of Polkit (formerly known as PolicyKit).
                  I don't know whether Nautilus and Gedit support that yet.

I use Ubuntu 17.04 (daily) and unfortunately Nautilus and Gedit (also GNOME Terminal) are old versions, not 3.24.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    By design Wayland does not allow graphical applications to run via sudo.
                    The applications must make use of Polkit (formerly known as PolicyKit).
                    I don't know whether Nautilus and Gedit support that yet.
                    Yep, it's a different model required under Wayland. You can't just run the applications as a different user to get the permissions of that user, because doing so will lose permission to access the display. Instead, the apps must themselves support desktop mechanisms for privileges... if you try to edit a file or view a directory you don't have permission for, the app can prompt you to obtain those permissions.

That said, there are still problem with that approach. If I'm installing some piece of 3rd-party software that has a GUI installer, the installer often needs to be run as root, or as whatever user the app will run as. And I doubt the likes of Oracle are in a hurry to update their tools for modern desktop compatibility...

Comment

Originally posted by ThanosRules View Post
                      Can nautilus and gedit run with superuser rights under wayland or not yet?
                      Why would you run hundreds of thousands of lines of code that have not been properly audited for security as a super user is beyond me. It's a terrible, terrible idea.

Nautilus and gedit allow reading and writing files owned by root using the admin:// URI in GVFS, which does local privilege escalation only for the file/directory involved, instead of running your whole app, the plugins, the extension modules, etc. as root.

Comment

Working...
                      X