No announcement yet.

A Look At The Changes & New Features Of GNOME 3.24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use Gnome wayland everyday. There are only one or two issues I face when used as a daily workstation. I am looking forward to this release and all the improvements.

Comment

Originally posted by boffo View Post

I use Gnome on wayland everyday. It's not perfect but good, light year ahead of kde.
      For me Gnome won this generation of DE, previosly kde 3&4>gnome 2.
      While it looks good and it's now stable and feature rich, i really can't adapt to the new paradigm.
      I swear i really tried, but it's so frustrating not being able to see all my open apps without having to click anything, or taking twice the steps to do a simple task, or having usefull features shaved off of software like the file browser... you get the point.

For me, all KDE needs to do is grab their start menu and instead of having the bottom tabs horizontaly disposed as they do and place them vertically at the left and voilá! The whole DE gets fixed...

The Gnome devs chose the Apple way: assume the users are computer iliterates...
      There are people who like 'simpler' DEs with less stuff to worry about.
      I prefer the power to do whatever i want and that means i have to chose a different DE.

Comment

but it's so frustrating not being able to see all my open apps without having to click anything
        Try pressing the "no we're not a monopoly" button located usually between Ctrl and Alt.

For me, full Wayland support is the only thing i wish to see.
        Some features are missing under gnome-wayland, but at least in my experience, wayland is smoother than Xorg. So while there's still ways to go, it's hard to say that one is unequivocally better than the other. I think it's totally fair to say that gnome-wayland is "done", in the sense of any program having version 1.0 released with all major features working.

Comment

GNOME is awesome, end of story . On serious note, I didn't like it all that much (mainly shell, GTK-3+ was always awesome to me), now, I can't use anything otehr than GNOME-Shell, it's light years ahead of any other DE (and no, Plasma simply isn't there, in terms of design, nor in terms of functionality).

Comment

Originally posted by zbyszek View Post
            Some features are missing under gnome-wayland, but at least in my experience, wayland is smoother than Xorg. So while there's still ways to go, it's hard to say that one is unequivocally better than the other. I think it's totally fair to say that gnome-wayland is "done", in the sense of any program having version 1.0 released with all major features working.
            My only real 2 complaints about Wayland under gnome these days are:
            1) Various minor XWayland issues, which are obviously not GNOME's fault and
            2) my xkeyboard keymap config is broken in wayland. There's apparently a way to do it, but I haven't figured how to remap the keyboard in wayland.
            Last edited by Mystro256; 17 March 2017, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
              While it looks good and it's now stable and feature rich, i really can't adapt to the new paradigm.
              I swear i really tried, but it's so frustrating not being able to see all my open apps without having to click anything, or taking twice the steps to do a simple task, or having usefull features shaved off of software like the file browser... you get the point.
              Dash to Panel

Don't forget to read the FAQ for other parts

Comment

Can nautilus and gedit run with superuser rights under wayland or not yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post

I assume you meant warmer/redder colors? Also I assume the word "about" is a typo and should be omitted?
                  This is one of those cases where the industry naming is kinda ridiculous and I don't begin to blame Michael for getting it backwards, because it's the industry that really has it backwards.

8000 Kelvin is considered "cool" and 3500 Kelvins is considered "warm". Well, lol, "cool" is a hell of a lot hotter than "warm" and the 4500 kelvin difference between them would evaporate you if it were applied to your living environment's temperature.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post

For me, all KDE needs to do is grab their start menu and instead of having the bottom tabs horizontaly disposed as they do and place them vertically at the left and voilá! The whole DE gets fixed...

The Gnome devs chose the Apple way: assume the users are computer iliterates...
                    There are people who like 'simpler' DEs with less stuff to worry about.
                    I prefer the power to do whatever i want and that means i have to chose a different DE.
                    About what I'm missing in gnome-wayland: Yast (Opensuse), so it's not a gnome fault.
                    You don't need to click on anything, just move the mouse to the top left corner to see open apps (I use this trick in KDE too, always), or a feature that many don't know is alt+tab (available on any os, to swich from the the most used apps).
                    The thing that I don't like about kde is that:
                    1) the wayland implementation is still unusable/unstable to me
                    2) they decided to implement a server side implementation instead of a client side, because of inconsistent decorations. Yes, I still don't like it, because I think that the top window bar shouldn't be just used to close an app and to move it, but also to have other functionalities. In firefox I removed the top bar because it's useless, if I have to move a window I just press super in gnome or alt in kde and I click on the window to move it (I also to to autohide the url bar in firefox, most of the time it's not used).
                    3) The default icons, I don't like them, they are too apple ios like mixed with mac os 1.0 (but I can easily use another set, aka easy to fix, not a real problem).

NOTE:
                    I think that the top bar to move an app is an old way to use application, in fact to move a window it would be better to just click and hold any part of the window without a text that it can't be selected or it can't be edited. Even an Icon if clicked and holded should behave as a move the window. KDE is a Swiss knife, this option should be implemented and be at least optional. This feature are useful if you use a touchpad on a notebook or if your notebook has a touch screen (Yes on some laptops touchpads are just bad).

IN SHORT
                    Wayland doesn't work on kde.

WHAT I MISS FROM KDE
                    kscreen!!! All the other little functionalities that I rarely use them, but damn when I need them I end up using the console with gnome.

There is no perfect solution, but we just get used to a particular solution.
                    Last edited by boffo; 17 March 2017, 05:44 PM.

Comment

I also use GNOME Wayland every day. In fact, these days I struggle to use anything else. On the rare occasion a game, usually WINE based like Skyrim, doesn't play nicely with XWayland (mouse issue) I just launch a lightweight X wm like WindowMaker in a separate TTY and play the game there.

Comment

Working...
                      X