A Look At The Changes & New Features Of GNOME 3.24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lolnope View Post
    1. Mutter hangs a lot even on a R9 280 on Dual 4k+1440p monitor setup, even with AMDGPU kernel driver.
    amdgpu driver does not even support r9 280 officially

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
      it's so frustrating not being able to see all my open apps without having to click anything
      there is a taskbar extension for that
      Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
      I prefer the power to do whatever i want
      all your power is here https://extensions.gnome.org/

Comment

Originally posted by ElderSnake View Post
        I also use GNOME Wayland every day. In fact, these days I struggle to use anything else. On the rare occasion a game, usually WINE based like Skyrim, doesn't play nicely with XWayland (mouse issue) I just launch a lightweight X wm like WindowMaker in a separate TTY and play the game there.
        FWIW, https://lists.freedesktop.org/archiv...er/051819.html

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
          Nice review. GNOME had another great development cycle. They moved further ahead of the competition.
          If you compare it to Win 3.1 then ok. However, even Win 3.1 is more usable in few things. Gnome is bloated, slow and terrible mess. What's current language developers should use for writing gnome applications? Vala? Dead. Python? Damn slow. C#? Slow and bloated crap. Thanks God we have KDE and Unity.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            there is a taskbar extension for that
            all your power is here https://extensions.gnome.org/
            If people haw to use JavaScript extensions (reliant on virtually non-existent documentation) in order to get basic functionality, than clearly the system is broken.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

If you compare it to Win 3.1 then ok. However, even Win 3.1 is more usable in few things. Gnome is bloated, slow and terrible mess. What's current language developers should use for writing gnome applications? Vala? Dead. Python? Damn slow. C#? Slow and bloated crap. Thanks God we have KDE and Unity.
              KDE not bloated? umm yeah ok. i can see your a Shuttleworth asslicker

Comment

Originally posted by danielnez1 View Post
                If people haw to use JavaScript extensions (reliant on virtually non-existent documentation) in order to get basic functionality, than clearly the system is broken.
                1) basic functionality does not need any extension. only "i want it to look like windows" needs an extension
                2) people need neither documentation nor javascript. they need to press install button in browser
                3) how javascript extension is worse than any extension for your browser?

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post

KDE is bloated in many ways. They even managed to be bloated on bugs. No wonder the KDE users and developers are abandoning ship.
                  yeAh im not a KDE user, even if i were it don't work on my system without Graphics Glitches , i use Nvidia only, iv'e tried Ubuntu KDE, Fedora KDE, all the same results

Comment

1) basic functionality does not need any extension. only "i want it to look like windows" needs an extension
                    Don't forget basic things like adding launcher Icons and re-arranging things on the panels, things that are taken for granted in GNOME 2 and just about every other DE.

2) people need neither documentation nor javascript. they need to press install button in browser
                    Yeah but programmers do, without decent documentation the best people can do is hack away.

3) how javascript extension is worse than any extension for your browser?
                    No worse than Python or anything else, its just telling that an extra programming layer and runtime is needed to produce a basic extension to offer functionality that can be done in other DEs without any programming hacks.

Comment

Don't forget basic things like adding launcher Icons and re-arranging things on the panels,
                      both are present, don't forget reality check
                      Yeah but programmers do, without decent documentation the best people can do is hack away.
                      programmers of extensions, users of extensions just enable extensions. same shit with programmers of any de.
                      its just telling that an extra programming layer and runtime is needed to produce a basic extension to offer functionality that can be done in other DEs without any programming hacks.
                      1) basic functionality is available without extensions. i am using zero extensions
                      2) all de's are written exclusively with programming hacks. the only choice is whether devs shove their hacks down user's throats unconditionally or not
                      3) i assume you are using web browser without support for extensions, what is its name lol?
                      Last edited by pal666; 19 March 2017, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X