Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stoatally View Post
    Clearly you didn't even look.
    That phrase alone could describe most of the criticisms against GNOME.

GNOME is really a fantastic DE, but I accept that people don't like it.
    Please people, stop arguing on stuff that is actually part of the GNOME design, like not having icons on the desktop. I like the fact that there are no icons on my desktop, I simply don't need them thanks to the dashboard: everything is one Super key away, never have to use the mouse.

Do I come on MATE threads and complain that there *are* icons on the desktop? No. So please, stop doing unproductive criticisms. And if you *really* don't like GNOME, no one is forcing you, you're free to use the hundreds of other DEs that might very well be a better match for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoatally View Post

It makes sense anywhere other people might have access to your computer. For example, at the office. You can turn it off under Privacy > Screen Lock.

Clearly you didn't even look.
      Clearly you don't understand the difference..
      I want my screen to lock, but in a sane way. Gnome 2 locks the screen, but without the shield that only exists in phones to prevent accidental "attempts" to unlock the phone with your butt or something..

Comment

Originally posted by tessio View Post
        Clearly you don't understand the difference..
        I want my screen to lock, but in a sane way. Gnome 2 locks the screen, but without the shield that only exists in phones to prevent accidental "attempts" to unlock the phone with your butt or something..
        So tap enter, or just type in your password. Talk about mountains out of mole hills.

Comment

True, I simply type enter and the shield goes out even before my monitor starts to display an image.
          I haven't tried to directly type my password though, would be excellent if it works!

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
            That phrase alone could describe most of the criticisms against GNOME.

GNOME is really a fantastic DE, but I accept that people don't like it.
            Please people, stop arguing on stuff that is actually part of the GNOME design, like not having icons on the desktop. I like the fact that there are no icons on my desktop, I simply don't need them thanks to the dashboard: everything is one Super key away, never have to use the mouse.

Do I come on MATE threads and complain that there *are* icons on the desktop? No. So please, stop doing unproductive criticisms. And if you *really* don't like GNOME, no one is forcing you, you're free to use the hundreds of other DEs that might very well be a better match for you.
            People do seem to react weirdly to GNOME (and some other projects) as of the project itself had murdered their dog or something.

The thing about Linux is there is choice so it's odd. If we were all forced to have one interface, ala Windows, on the other hand..

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
              I just wish I could keep having the option of accessing icons on the desktop as nowadays I can when I run nautilus over X instead of Wayland. If default option is not showing icons, it's fine: I just activate it in Gnome Tweak Tool and that's all. The problem is using Wayland there's no more this option (or at least, it doesn't work reliabilityly).

The point for me it's I want to have my work documents ready to be opened in just one click (yes, I use the mouse)...I can't achieve this with one Super key away. In fact, this is what "desktop" metaphore is/was for, isn't?

Comment

Originally posted by q2dg View Post
                The problem is using Wayland there's no more this option (or at least, it doesn't work reliabilityly).
                You are probably using a distribution that is not enough reactive ;-)

Another release of GNOME and Nautilus is coming, 3.24. As we have been doing for every release I will explain the changes that have an impact on the users and explain the reasoning behind them, and…

« Nautilus desktop works on Wayland sessions. Thanks to Florian Mullner, he came up with a simple but working solution. Now you can use the desktop when in a Wayland session. Keep in mind this requires XWayland, and it’s backported to 3.22 too. »

With Fedora 25, I can actually use icons on the desktop with a Wayland session.

Comment

Working...
                X