MATE 1.18 Desktop Released, Finished Porting To GTK3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eigenlambda View Post
    That's exactly what it is, which is frustrating, but less frustrating than these reinvent the desktop new paradigm for UX desktop environments like Gnome 3 and Windows 8. Don't forget, the reason Mate needed to fork all the apps is they lost a ton of features in Gnome as the UX got its paradigms redefined.
    Just install an extension like Dash to Panel to get the same result with GNOME...

WebUpd8 wrote an article about this extension.

Comment

Originally posted by hussam View Post
      I've tried Mate. To be honest, the Gnome counterparts such as nautilus feel a bit more mature. Caja felt slow and resource hungry. It feels like pretty much just a gnome2 port to gtk3 without the application fixes that happened during the last few years.

Gnome (nautilus, evolution, etc...) is near perfect at the moment apart from gnome-shell/mutter. Someone needs to rethink those. I posted statistics on Arch Linux forums yesterday. I am seeing 2.6GB of leaks a day.
      I truly appreciate all their efforts. Gnome looks great. But the gnome-shell memory leaks are quite frustrating.
      Well I think a lot has happened to Mate. Better memory management for instance. And it's easier than ever to set up your GUI with openbox compton or compiz. Not the Mate teams fault I know but still. You also get these modern notifications. I need my clock calendar location back from the evolution days that other desktops seems to fail at so Mate is a must to me.

Comment

Lets see if i got this strait......

- GNOME moved from GTK2->GTK3, becoming GNOME3 (with what they call GNOME SHELL)
        - because GNOME SHELL was not what people wanted, MATE forked and stay on GTK2 creating/maintaining a GNOME2-like DE
        - Cinnamon, meanwhile, was also created, based on GTK3 but also trying to maintain a GNOME2-like DE
        - Because of GNOME3 Ubuntu also forked into Unity (but this one does not count anymore, since they're heading the Qt road)
        - XFCE is still moving to get into GTK3 (no end in sight...)
        - So, MATE and Cinnamon both tried to replicate GNOME2 DE, but MATE was on GTK2 and Cinnamon on GTK3. But now that MATE migrated to GTK3 this puts them both trying to replicate GNOME2 DE on top of GTK3
        - Beside MATE and Cinnamon, GNOME is also on GTK3, with XFCE planning to join the party ASAP (not mentioning that Unity was also on GTK3...).

now:
        ...Gnome 4 is going to look a lot like MATE
        Which is the differentiation reason for MATE and Cinnamon to exist

Did i get anything wrong here (really, correct me if i'm wrong!!)??? Is it me or are everyone screaming exactly the same ideas but advocating they're different (i know, there are always small details...)?!

What about a very big MERGE?!?!

(i guess Plasma guys hit the jackpot here... they can "sort of" emulate ALL the other DE)

Comment

Originally posted by Mavman View Post
          Lets see if i got this strait......

- GNOME moved from GTK2->GTK3, becoming GNOME3 (with what they call GNOME SHELL)
          - because GNOME SHELL was not what people wanted, MATE forked and stay on GTK2 creating/maintaining a GNOME2-like DE
          - Cinnamon, meanwhile, was also created, based on GTK3 but also trying to maintain a GNOME2-like DE
          - Because of GNOME3 Ubuntu also forked into Unity (but this one does not count anymore, since they're heading the Qt road)
          - XFCE is still moving to get into GTK3 (no end in sight...)
          - So, MATE and Cinnamon both tried to replicate GNOME2 DE, but MATE was on GTK2 and Cinnamon on GTK3. But now that MATE migrated to GTK3 this puts them both trying to replicate GNOME2 DE on top of GTK3
          - Beside MATE and Cinnamon, GNOME is also on GTK3, with XFCE planning to join the party ASAP (not mentioning that Unity was also on GTK3...).

now:

Which is the differentiation reason for MATE and Cinnamon to exist

Did i get anything wrong here (really, correct me if i'm wrong!!)??? Is it me or are everyone screaming exactly the same ideas but advocating they're different (i know, there are always small details...)?!

What about a very big MERGE?!?!

(i guess Plasma guys hit the jackpot here... they can "sort of" emulate ALL the other DE)
          I think the point is that the GNOME 3 devs didn't realize the mass dissatisfaction with GNOME 3 until they saw all the different attempts to essentially merge GNOME 3 prettiness with a GNOME 2 UI style.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

You do not much play games and use apps then. Wayland is bloatware in Debian testing Xfce, dependencies in X software installs it and user can not remove wayland packages.
            I dont use wayland but X all the way for me, but wayland is the hype for a long time now so I guess that in 10-20 more years it will be the default, I hope im still alive when that happens

Comment

Mavman: Unity was never GTK3. Unity 2d was Qt4 and Unity is Nux. I don't understand how this myth survives.

Comment

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post
                Mavman: Unity was never GTK3. Unity 2d was Qt4 and Unity is Nux. I don't understand how this myth survives.
                Really?!?! I knew Unity 2D was Qt, but always thought Unity was based on GTK3... Thanks for clearing that out

(Edit: Wikipedia lists it as a GUI shell for GNOME... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unity_(user_interface) )
                Last edited by Mavman; 15 March 2017, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post

I dont use wayland but X all the way for me, but wayland is the hype for a long time now so I guess that in 10-20 more years it will be the default, I hope im still alive when that happens
                  Ha, ha, FOSS and pretty much any development is always full of hypes about replacing everything and introducing breakages with something shiny new from the ground up

Developers are happy with that situation of course, on the other side users does not care much about, they want something that preferably continuosly work and even better something that does not introduce mess while these new shiny things by definition pretty much always introduces mess

Yeah, nowdays it is fine to speak in decades when it comes to Wayland, since thousands on apps depends on X... it is impossible to switch that over night without being total ignorant. Further especially since Wayland was started in year 2008. so 9 years ago and we can't ignore that nothing happened with X during these years, that also get massive improvments - so it is actually good enough
                  Last edited by dungeon; 15 March 2017, 10:05 AM.

Comment

MATE is what Gnome 3 should have been and Gnome 4 is going to look a lot like MATE
                    Is this based on something or are you just saying? I couldn't find any plans about Gnome 4.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                      changing GUI libs must be major fucking pain in the ass
                      All GUI frameworks suck. I think this is because all GUIs suck.

Comment

Working...
                      X