Firefox 52 Released With WebAssembly Support, Security Fixes, CSS Grid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 52 Released With WebAssembly Support, Security Fixes, CSS Grid

Phoronix: Firefox 52 Released With WebAssembly Support, Security Fixes, CSS Grid

Mozilla has rolled out Firefox 52.0 as the latest version of their open-source, cross-platform web browser...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

WebAssembly support? They went on the moon, but they forgot about input type="date" .

Comment

Unfortunately, still no Wayland support, and still no support for HTML5 input types such as date, time, and datetime.

Comment

Another change is that mozilla has deprecated alsa and by default now only support pulseaudio for sound.

Arch Linux firefox package 52.0-1 was build without alsa support . The maintainer responded favorably to a bug report and firefox 52.0-2 now supports both alsa and pulseaudio for sound again.

The maintainer did warn that mozilla in near future ( firefox 54 ) plans to remove alsa support completely.

If Mozilla wanted to reduce the number of supported sound backends, why didn't they switch to a high level backend like gstreamer or qt5-multimedia ?
        That would have allowed users to choose anything supported by that framework.

I have been a content user of netscape navigator / firefox as primary browser since approx 2000 , but am wondering how much longer i will stay a user.
        I refuse to install/configure pulseaudio (personal reasons) , and a browser without sound support feels rather restricted ...

Comment

WebAssembly sounds nice, but does that mean that sketchy ads will now execute as blobs in a browser?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            (...) still no support for HTML5 input types such as date, time, and datetime.
            (And bulletxt )

What's the deal with these input types? I keep seeing posts like this on every new Firefox announcement, but I remain ignorant as to what they would bring to the user/developer.

Any pointers ?

Comment

Firefox is saying Phoronix is not secure :-)

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post

(And bulletxt )

What's the deal with these input types? I keep seeing posts like this on every new Firefox announcement, but I remain ignorant as to what they would bring to the user/developer.

Any pointers ?

It's a standard. It's the easiest bug-free way to do a date (time ecc).

There are 100 reasons Firefox should support this instead of thinking of science fiction technology like WebAssembly.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by LoneVVolf View Post

I have been a content user of netscape navigator / firefox as primary browser since approx 2000 , but am wondering how much longer i will stay a user.
                    I refuse to install/configure pulseaudio (personal reasons) , and a browser without sound support feels rather restricted ...

I don't mean to sound rude but in general large projects don't much care for users personal technical objections based on personal reasons unless they are writing the code. The reason I suspect they are not depending on gstreamer for this is to reduce supported code (supporting pulseaudio is actually very easy comparatively) considering most of the Linux desktop distributions ship pulseaudio nowadays it's not that surprising to be honest.

Comment

Working...
                    X