No announcement yet.

Firefox 52 Released With WebAssembly Support, Security Fixes, CSS Grid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has everyone forgotten why we got rid of technologies such as Java Runtime Environment and Adobe Flash?
    Have we forgotten all the security concerns?
    So we replaced JRE and Flash with the same functionality implemented in JavaScript, once a simple scripting language for web browsers, now capable of all kinds of features including accessing a number of hardware devices, now how can this go wrong? All of them try to be sandboxed, but that is not enough. In principal WebAssembly is not any different from JRE.

Unfortunately most web pages today needs JavaScript, so you can't just disable it either. I wonder how many more browsers issues we're going to see before people realize we need a limited scripting language we can trust, and only enable full JavaScript or WebAssembly for pages we "trust". And since browsers are throwing in features every few months, the web browser is now by far the greatest security risk on any computer. I'll be soon only running web browsers in virtual machines.

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post

(And bulletxt )

What's the deal with these input types? I keep seeing posts like this on every new Firefox announcement, but I remain ignorant as to what they would bring to the user/developer.

Any pointers ?
      They just like to complain. Yes, there's a good reason to have them but there are other methods you can use. Otoh there not really anything out there that can be used to emulate what wasm brings (will bring, rather) to the table. Also, there's the obvious issue that THE PEOPLE WORKING ON WASM LIKELY HAVE F&$L ALL TO DO WITH FF'S EFFORTS TO IMPLEMENT HTML5.

Comment

CSS Grid looks like full of awesome to me. As long as no one uses MS browsers, it should be even safe to use

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

Did you ever try ublock origin + ublock origin extra + anti-adblock killer?
          Sure. They all suck compared to the FF version of adblock.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

Sure. They all suck compared to the FF version of adblock.
            You mean adblock plus, the one that intentionally lets through ads from ad providers that pay them?

Comment

Working...
            X