Some Of The Changes Coming To KDE Plasma 5.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    I don't know, on a quad-core CPU and a $200+ GPU I kinda like a DE that doesn't remind me of Windows. 3.1.
    Also on far less powerful hardware, btw.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      Also on far less powerful hardware, btw.
      Don't get me wrong, I understand why some appreciate a simple DE that stays out of the way. Especially when DE's defaults seem to fly in the face of one's own habits (like Gnome does for me). But I myself like to see a little eye candy and the ability to tweak when I feel like it.
      Not strictly related to DEs, but this is why I like Linux despite its numerous flaws: it caters to everybody, unlike any other OS.

Comment

Great. Now if someone could only fix the file picker in detail view so the columns either automatically adjust like they do in Dolphin or else remember what the user sets. It's been my main annoyance for like 8 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
          Kwin is a sack of shit, fix the damn bugs before you do anything else. Seriously losing patience and considering Mate or Gnome.
          KWin on X11 is pretty darn good, if you ask me. Too many wayland bugs to be usable, though. They're being fixed at a pretty quick pace though, from what I can tell. Also, I feel like there's primarily one developer working on KWin and wayland fixes, which isn't exactly ideal.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            I don't like KDE.
            It suffers from feature creep. Everything has too many toolbars, the toolbars have too many toolbar buttons, and there are too many menus which have too many menu entries.
            Too many options are presented.
            It takes too many clicks to get things done.

I think GNOME is much better.
            too much iXXXXX fanboys ...

Comment

I don't know, on a quad-core CPU and a $200+ GPU I kinda like a DE that doesn't remind me of Windows. 3.1.
              Do you mean you think i3 reminds you of Windows 3.1? I don't remember Windows 3.1 being keyboard-centric and required a config file to set it up... not to mention the fact that you can tweak i3 as well and add themes and eye-candy. And KDE apps work fine on it as well if you want apps with eye-candy.
              Last edited by Vistaus; 08 March 2017, 06:17 AM.

Comment

At least for me it's working fine. I stumbled upon a bug with auto-hiding panel in a specific configuration, but other than that it's solid.
                It's broken if you use DisplayPort MST, at least on Intel.
                ## VGA ##
                AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

They really need to do something about this:

Bug report done on 2016-09-15, still unfixed:https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=368838https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=216541On an always on PC, ...
                  Last edited by kokoko3k; 08 March 2017, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

It's broken if you use DisplayPort MST, at least on Intel.
                    Well, I didn't mean it's bug free. But it's pretty solid for common configurations. A year ago it was still acting up handling the most common tasks. Today, not so much.

Comment

Well, I didn't mean it's bug free. But it's pretty solid for common configurations. A year ago it was still acting up handling the most common tasks. Today, not so much.
                      If you don't consider a dual monitor Intel laptop configuration as "common" then you're perfectly right.
                      ## VGA ##
                      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
                      X