GNOME Maps 3.24 To Support Transit Routing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post
    I love that Gnome after removing all functionality from all sort of components of Gnome sending the Linux desktop ecosystem back to the 90's decide that they have an itch to code and of all things that people may need they come with a mapping application.
    Great.
    Hahaha, I don't agree with you fully, but I fully understand where you're coming from!
    Very witty and well formulated post
    Last edited by Azpegath; 16 February 2017, 09:01 AM. Reason: Spelling and stuff.

Comment

I love that Gnome after removing all functionality from all sort of components of Gnome sending the Linux desktop ecosystem back to the 90's decide that they have an itch to code and of all things that people may need they come with a mapping application.

Great.

What do you mean "All functionality". Adding routing, and now public trans routing are really valuable features. Speaking of the 1990s, gnome 2 was chock full of features that where stuck in the 1990s, meanwhile gnome-shell tends to be one of the few DE/WM actively pushing desktops into integrating features that complement 21st century computers.

Maps are hella fucking useful.

Comment

Originally posted by Cape View Post
        Any feature addition to the FOSS ecosystem is a good thing.

On the same same register, any loss of functionality is a bad thing (usually due to DRM, proprietary drivers, bios fuckery...).
        Gnome did fuck up with the 3.0 release but has since gained ground. The 4.0 release should also make things better.

Maps might seem like a non-important addition, but you never know what future holds and what functionality might be restricted by proprietary software in the future.
        So we must have a full-stack FOSS implementation of anything people use their computers for.
        Biggest peeve so far is the onscreen keyboard is terrible, and well, despite what it looks like, its actually really terrible when you try and use it on a real tablet.

Comment

It's the first step they need to complete in figuring out where they're going next. After all, you can't know where you're going without some kind of map.

Comment

Originally posted by GI_Jack View Post

Biggest peeve so far is the onscreen keyboard is terrible, and well, despite what it looks like, its actually really terrible when you try and use it on a real tablet.
            That's why I've ditched the built-in onscreen keyboard and replaced it with Onboard. Types freaking nice on a tablet! Even has a lot of modern onscreen keyboard features like typing suggestions, themes, round or square keys, all sorts of layout options (compact, full, etc.), is resizable and much more. Try it out

Comment

Working...
            X