Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flatpak 0.8.3 Released, Can Now Work With NVIDIA's Linux Driver

Phoronix: Flatpak 0.8.3 Released, Can Now Work With NVIDIA's Linux Driver

With the release of Flatpak 0.8.3, this open-source sandboxing tech is a bit more suited for Linux gaming...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Flatpak Mesa stable/git would be pretty sweet.

Comment

This is another one of those situations where I think Flatpak is especially useful, despite that I'm overall against it. Nvidia ships a lot of their own custom binaries that conflict with Mesa's, so Flatpakking Nvidia's drivers seems like a really solid idea. I'm not sure if this will actually do anything about these conflicts, but at least you don't/shouldn't end up with broken package dependencies.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        This is another one of those situations where I think Flatpak is especially useful, despite that I'm overall against it. Nvidia ships a lot of their own custom binaries that conflict with Mesa's, so Flatpakking Nvidia's drivers seems like a really solid idea. I'm not sure if this will actually do anything about these conflicts, but at least you don't/shouldn't end up with broken package dependencies.
        That's not what it is referring to. It's talking about applications (specifically probably games) that are distributed in flatpak format being able to utilize OpenGL on systems using proprietary drivers.

Comment

With the release of Flatpak 0.8.3, this open-source sandboxing tech is a bit more suited for Linux gaming.
          Unrelated to that flatpak thing, but when I read that sentence about something making easier the use of nvidia drivers to play games, I thought it would be probably better (and more honest) to talk about « nvidia gaming » than « linux gaming ».

Comment

Originally posted by illwieckz View Post

Unrelated to that flatpak thing, but when I read that sentence about something making easier the use of nvidia drivers to play games, I thought it would be probably better (and more honest) to talk about « nvidia gaming » than « linux gaming ».
            Since there isn't, to the best of my knowledge, no OS with the name "nvidia", no, it wouldn't.

Comment

this may be useful for packing steam on flatpak

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
                It certainly moves towards that capability. It might be fun to sucker in... I mean... conscript... I mean...

Uhh....

"Find a volunteer"...

to help with testing FlatPak as a method of distributing games. Not sure who would be up for it. Maybe someone at Feral or Aspyr could fiddle with it over a rainy weekend or something.

Wait, crap, Aspyr is in Texas, rainy weekends won't change anything.

EDIT: Perhaps "Distributing" isn't the best language. "Packaging" might be better. Distribution is a thing done by stores and websites. Duh.
                Last edited by Niarbeht; 15 February 2017, 04:53 PM. Reason: Changing some language.

Comment

Does Snap in Ubuntu allow this?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    Nvidia ships a lot of their own custom binaries that conflict with Mesa's
                    No longer true: https://github.com/NVIDIA/libglvnd

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
                    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by tegs View Post
                    Does Snap in Ubuntu allow this?
                    Nobody cares.

Comment

Working...
                    X