Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ardour 5.6 Digital Audio Workstation Released

Phoronix: Ardour 5.6 Digital Audio Workstation Released

Available this weekend is the newest release of the Ardour digital audio workstation software for Linux, macOS, and Windows...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What is the state of digital audio on Linux?
    Is it piss poor, or does it rival that of Windows and Mac?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      It's better than the state of video editing, that's for sure. That is with professional tasks, at least.

Comment

Ardour has had development sponsored by the SAE in times past, so I would say it is very encouraging.

Comment

It's actually pretty good these days. I've used Ardour on + off for quite a long time now. It's not as easy to use as it could be, but not bad. The thing that really pushed pro audio on Linux along was the release of Bitwig. It brings with it some high quality instruments+effects built-in, and a good plugin architecture ( including running plugins in their own process so a plugin crash can't bring down the whole system ). There are various options for using Windows VST plugins ( for both Bitwig and Ardour ) - all using Wine of course - and this works much better than you'd expect.

As for rivaling Windows / Mac - it depends what you're doing. For me, by far the biggest gap is in the sheer number of plugins ( instruments and effects ) that you can find for these platforms. There are only a handful of what I'd refer to as high quality LV2 ( plugin format ) plugins for Linux, and a similar number of VST ( native ones ) for Linux. The wine bridging options are good, but for low latency and crash-free operation, we obviously prefer native plugins. Speaking of latency - I use -rt kernels and get very good latency under Linux - I can adjust my audio buffer size to a far lower size ( and keep things stable ) than friends doing similar things using a Mac, for example. Hardware support is pretty good. My Focusrite USB audio device works out-of-the-box in Bitwig and Ardour. My USB/MIDI keyboard works out-of-the box in Bitwig, but needs a little fiddling under Ardour ( which uses Jack ).

For people who are comfortable with Linux, I don't see any major hurdles that would force you to use Windows or Mac. We're not at parity yet, but we're a LOT closer than most people realise.

Comment

Depends on what you do. If you are working with supercollider, pure data, hydrogen + qjackctl, it's better than both of those other options(windows or mac), but as far as i'm concerned the daws all suck. What i do like about linux and pulse audio, is that i can without much fuss stream different audio to different channels, so that i can play one track on the speakers and redirect the midi synth i'm playing to the headphones. Also qjackctl remembering my patching is pretty cool, it activates automatically and directs my midi keyboard to the right synth at the moment i turn on the midi keyboard.

Comment

Does any professional audio engineer or musician do their work with Linux?
              Any celebrity? Any artist, any DJ? Any composer?

Comment

People can also ask Linuxaudio.org

(Linuxaudio.org is a not-for-profit consortium of libre software projects and artists, companies, institutions, organizations, and hardware vendors using Linux kernel-based systems and allied libre software for audio-related work, with an emphasis on professional tools for the music, production, recording, and broadcast industries.)

There's more information in Linuxaudio.org

Comment

There's a list of its members in: http://linuxaudio.org/members.html

There's also a contact page in: http://linuxaudio.org/contact.html

Comment

Working...
                  X