Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opera 43 Lands With "Instant Page Loading"

Phoronix: Opera 43 Lands With "Instant Page Loading"

Opera Software today announced that the Opera 43 web-browser is shipping, assuming you are still running this closed-source web-browser on Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I couldn't care less if it's open source or not. The last nail in the coffin was being bought up by the Chinese.

Comment

For now there is no other browser that better for laptop/tablet/transformer than Opera: www.opera.com/computer/features/battery-saver

Comment

assuming you are still running this closed-source web-browser on Linux
        Are we talking about the same browser?
        Opera has 128 repositories available. Follow their code on GitHub.

Comment

Well, that's also a nice way to boost browser market share statistics

Wasn't Microsoft Edge already doing this? I seem to recall reading some criticism of this feature somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Zajec View Post
            Are we talking about the same browser?
            http://sourcecode.opera.com/
            This is not the source code of the browser, it is the source code (which they are forced to publish because of the licenses) of the open source packages that they use in their browser.
            Opera is closed source. From their FAQ: "Opera has no current plans to open source its browser.".

Comment

Originally posted by marco-c View Post
              This is not the source code of the browser, it is the source code (which they are forced to publish because of the licenses) of the open source packages that they use in their browser.
              Opera is closed source. From their FAQ: "Opera has no current plans to open source its browser.".
              Oh, this is interesting. I downloaded sources, there is README, part of its content below:
              This README explains how to build a custom native library for Opera Desktop.

(...)

The custom library can be exchanged with the one used in dynamically linked
              Opera build.
              License seems to be 3-clause BSD.

You're right, it doesn't seem like full sources

Sorry for confusing post!

Comment

Good feature for slow typers

Comment

Are there any advantages to Opera over Vivaldi?

Comment

"assuming you are still running this closed-source web-browser on Linux"
                    I used Opera in the past, when I didn't know better, but now I don't use or plan to use any closed source browser on Linux or Windows.
                    I want security and privacy
                    Thanks anyway for the info!

Comment

Working...
                    X