No announcement yet.

Opera 43 Lands With "Instant Page Loading"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eww, Opera. Treat it as you would Ebola.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
      For now there is no other browser that better for laptop/tablet/transformer than Opera: www.opera.com/computer/features/battery-saver
      Eh, Vivaldi browser also has battery saving options. For example, you can instantly hibernate all tabs but the one you're currently using. Saves a lot of battery power. So no, Opera isn't any better for laptop/tablet/transformer.

Comment

I still think Opera is a really good browser. Too bad I'm afraid of using it ever since it was sold to the Chinese.

Opera's work on improving Chromium is awesome though, and benefits everyone using that engine.

Upstreamed commits in Chromium: 6216, V8: 38, Skia: 9, BoringSSL: 16.

Comment

Originally posted by 137ben View Post
          Are there any advantages to Opera over Vivaldi?
          To be fair Opera does have some advantages over Vivaldi:
          1. Opera has it's own extension repository (No dependence on Chrome Web Store -> No need to follow Google rules -> Youtube downloading extensions allowed)
          2. Opera has sidebar extensions ( https://addons.opera.com/en-gb/exten...ar&language=en These of course do not work in Chrome since Chrome lacks a sidebar. But Vivaldi has a sidebar but doesn't yet support extensions for it. And even if It did, Google wouldn't host Vivialdi only extensions on the Chrome Web Store since they wouldn't work with Chrome)
          Do note that the sidebar extensions made by vux777 are great and replicate a lot of the functionality of the sidebar in old Opera (<12.5) (https://addons.opera.com/en-gb/search/?developer=vux777)
          3. Opera has a VPN integrated. However, since Opera is owned by a company based in China, it may not be a good idea to use it depending on your threat model.
          4. Opera has the battery saver feature and are very proud about it
          5. Opera has Opera Turbo mode which compresses data on the server side and can be useful in case of limited bandwidth or limited traffic

Out of these, 1 and 2 can be solved by the Vivaldi team if they want to. 3 and 5 are based on services and could be provided by a 3'rd party through extensions. 4 is more difficult.

I do not believe these advantages counterbalance all the disadvantages Opera has compared to Vivaldi (or other browsers) but they are notable and may serve as inspiration for the Vivaldi team. Especially no.1. I really hope they will make Vivaldi independent of the Chrome Web Store.

Comment

Tested version 43 beta on Fedora 25 and it's just great. Blazing fast and with features I just can't live without = gestures. After 12.xx I thought Opera was dead, and kind of mourned after the Norwegians sold it, used it since 1997. Opera is today my No.1 yet again (42.0.2393.517 currenly), no other browser is nowhere near the speed, my work flow is almost impossible on another browser without doing macros. There are some really good addons for Opera, which compensate for some losses from <=12.xx and make it full fledged.

With that said I salute '43'! as well as Firefox, and Chrome (-ium). I do different things on different browsers. Give it a go!

Comment

And Phoronix always forgets to mention Otter-browser, next time you bring Opera news then mention about Otter-browser as upcoming open source Opera.

Comment

Originally posted by tuuker View Post
                And Phoronix always forgets to mention Otter-browser, next time you bring Opera news then mention about Otter-browser as upcoming open source Opera.
                Somehow missed Otter browser completely, will test it tonight. Thank You for mentioning this project.

Comment

Working...
                X