Why I Run Fedora Linux On My Main Production System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a great answer:

What have you found most challenging about contributing to open source projects?

Open-source politics, sadly, get too much in the way with some projects, putting off some users/contributors and just shifting the focus away from placing the emphasis on just producing really great, quality open-source software. What led me to open-source/Linux in the first place was looking for the best quality and trusted software, but sadly in recent years among some projects it seems there is less an emphasis on producing the best possible software and more on just advancing social causes, satisfying company stakeholders, etc, but if you deliver a great offering, they will come and thus expand your community.
    And it's very telling that Fedora didn't include it. Fedora stinks of Social Justice BS these days.

Comment

"If you could do one thing to change the Fedora Project what would it be?"

1. Drop Anaconda
      2. Drop Gnome 3
      3. Make a proper user repository, like AUR for Arch

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
        It's just too bad that Fedora still doesn't give its users the choice to run a soft real-time Linux kernel for gaming or audio/video production like Ubuntu does with the "lowlatency" kernel package!
        Thus, Fedora is basically useless for any enjoyable user-experience...
        Planet CCRMA provides RT kernels if I understand right: http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrm...00000000000000

Originally posted by eydee View Post
        "If you could do one thing to change the Fedora Project what would it be?"

1. Drop Anaconda
        2. Drop Gnome 3
        3. Make a proper user repository, like AUR for Arch
        Yeah, let's drop two nice benefits to Fedora and add in an unnecessary user repository (even though users can set their own repos up or use Copr); wonderful!

Anaconda is probably the most flexible installer I've seen. It lets me set-up a custom partitioning with set-up for a RAID0 set-up al through GUI.

Comment

Originally posted by eggbert View Post
          This is a great answer:

And it's very telling that Fedora didn't include it. Fedora stinks of Social Justice BS these days.
          I am the author of the article. I dropped that part mostly because I thought people would assume it was a jab at project outside of Fedora. Which project would depend on reader's point of view. There was no 'Fedora' objective here, but a desire to not have the article attract trolls.

Comment

Open-source politics, sadly, get too much in the way with some projects, putting off some users/contributors and just shifting the focus away from placing the emphasis on just producing really great, quality open-source software. What led me to open-source/Linux in the first place was looking for the best quality and trusted software, but sadly in recent years among some projects it seems there is less an emphasis on producing the best possible software and more on just advancing social causes, satisfying company stakeholders, etc, but if you deliver a great offering, they will come and thus expand your community.
            Could you be more specific? Or perhaps, it's just typical and mindless bullshit? Examples?

Comment

Sounds like he learned his skills the same way I did. Colleges sure suck at their job.

Comment

Fedora 25 + Mate + Compiz(Rock steady!) on my production machine as well. For me the most solid fc since fc14 (can be hw related, I know). 22,23,24 was a mess on my systems, especially after a kernel update & proprietary nvidia drivers* (I know it's like swearing in church, but I have to have'em). Working with Lighworks (currently 12.6 https://www.lwks.com) on a daily basis alongside with every kernel update since fc25 release has been no less than fantastic (current kernel 4.9.7-201). Lw scales beautiful and despite Compiz as compositor I have had no graphic issues at all.

I wish I could share user experience with You, it's just amazing how well fc25 make use of my hardware. In terms of speed, FreeBSD seems faster copying large amount of data, ZFS maybe (?). (The only thing I don't get to work decently is a desktop recorder, on other distros I use SSR and Istanbul. I'd be thankful for any suggestion)

Comment

Recorded my fc25 with vlc and want to share it with You. I am very surprised by the stability despite compiz-compiz fusion. Obsolete according to some. Not Yet I'd say. Hard to pass on experience of look and feel but I give it a try :-)

My workstation as of tonight: https://youtu.be/kb3qaU0B8n4

Comment

Originally posted by ldo17 View Post

You mean, you didn’t back up the old OS before installing the new one?

In which case, a restoration would have involved little more than an rsync command.
                    I backed up my user files, but not the OS itself. I use LVM whole disk encryption (or whatever it's called), and I figured there was a chance that backing up and restoring those with rsync might wipe out something the system needed to decrypt at boot.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post

I backed up my user files, but not the OS itself. I use LVM whole disk encryption (or whatever it's called), and I figured there was a chance that backing up and restoring those with rsync might wipe out something the system needed to decrypt at boot.
                      I would have tried it anyway--back up the decrypted files with rsync. If the restore didn’t work, you would have been no worse off.

Comment

Working...
                      X