No announcement yet.

GNOME's Epiphany Web Browser Lands A Lot More 3.24 Feature Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

interesting there putting heaps of more Features into Epiphany, one wonders if this means the end of Firefox from being the Default Browser in Workstation eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Phoronix: GNOME's Epiphany Web Browser Lands A Lot More 3.24 Feature Work

Developers working on GNOME's Web Browser, Epiphany, have prepared the v3.23.5 release as their latest development version in the road towards GNOME 3.24...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...piphany-3.23.5
      Could you maybe add a .michael-whining-about-diminishing-advertising-revenues {display: none;} rule in the Premium CSS? I paid to disable ads (which I wouldn't be able to see anyway, since my network blocks most advertiser domains), I'd prefer not to hear about it every time blocking gets more popular and makes you unhappy. I hope that the subscription gives you more than ad revenues did.

I appreciate all the hard work, but there are lots of legitimate reasons to block ads on the web; the most appealing one is reducing exposure to ad-based malware, which is a huge problem with smaller advertisers (basically anyone but AdWords, Facebook, or Apple); one is battery life, which can cut basically in half with moving advertisements on screen; another is attention problems, because what is the point of a news source when you can't focus on the content? I know somebody with a condition which makes it borderline impossible to focus on anything with animated advertisements in his peripheral vision.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
        interesting there putting heaps of more Features into Epiphany, one wonders if this means the end of Firefox from being the Default Browser in Workstation eventually.
        That's certainly what some are hoping for, but i think relying so much on Apple for something important as a browser, isn't a great idea.
        Mozilla should be a natural ally, but there is definitely some resistance to this idea. I know some of it is due to Apple's willingness to add features to webkit that benefit GNOME (yay Apple!), and a large part of it is due to the design of webkit, but i would think that the smart move would be to work with Mozilla to fix the big Linux blockers and start targeting cef (though i know there are also concerns about how well cef will integrate with gobject).

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post

That's certainly what some are hoping for, but i think relying so much on Apple for something important as a browser, isn't a great idea.
          Mozilla should be a natural ally, but there is definitely some resistance to this idea. I know some of it is due to Apple's willingness to add features to webkit that benefit GNOME (yay Apple!), and a large part of it is due to the design of webkit, but i would think that the smart move would be to work with Mozilla to fix the big Linux blockers and start targeting cef (though i know there are also concerns about how well cef will integrate with gobject).
          my concern is Firefox's future after Firefox 57 for instance. its been said from mozilla that 57 will have to use webextensions by default an there are enough Addon Authors already leaving Firefox an that i can understand why they'd leave, they were told to rewrite there extensions to work with e10's, now there told they have to rewrite them again to work as a webExtension. , an i cant see many people bothering to stay around using Firefox after 57 as it'll just be another Chrome clone with a different Web Engine . . so maybe making Epiphany the Default eventually is a good idea + i would think it would work far better in Wayland

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post

my concern is Firefox's future after Firefox 57 for instance. its been said from mozilla that 57 will have to use webextensions by default an there are enough Addon Authors already leaving Firefox an that i can understand why they'd leave, they were told to rewrite there extensions to work with e10's, now there told they have to rewrite them again to work as a webExtension. , an i cant see many people bothering to stay around using Firefox after 57 as it'll just be another Chrome clone with a different Web Engine . . so maybe making Epiphany the Default eventually is a good idea + i would think it would work far better in Wayland
            https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/...COM_extensions

Webextensions aren't a new thing (Mozilla first announced three webex transition in August of 2015.... That means they will have given developers about two years to migrate their code, if possible, and if not, to help develop a sufficiently functional extension point that is also pretty minimal), and we have long known that for Firefox to reduce its technology gap with all the other browsers, it was going to need to be radically changed. E10s is a big part of that. Removing xul is another huge part of it. Why we need e10s should be pretty clear, but getting rid of xul is about fixing some old issues (completely aside from xul having an incomprehensible code base... which has been said to be the case). Xul is a tk that Mozilla has to maintain on its own. Allowing extensions to use xul.... There are a lot of good reasons to try rid xul.

​​The Webextensions api is not set. From the beginning they've asked developers to tell them what they need and trying to find ways to accomplish it while not torpedoing the original motivations.

​​​​​

​​​​​​Also, if you think epiphany is going to offer a better addon experience....

Btw, by using cef now you get to use a chromium that can tie in much better with the desktop (cef has lots of language bindings, tk tieins, and, with ozone, is actually on its way to supporting wayland --- https://chromium.googlesource.com/ch...ne_overview.md)then what we currently have, and it will make it easier to switch to servo later.

Comment

Working...
            X