X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• liam
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post

You're both right of course. I can't believe after all these years I still use those interchangeably. When I know too well they're not.
    To add insult to injury, I've actually checked htop before posting and it was clearly showing me both threads (many) and processes (a couple)
    Heh, yeah, i totally get this. The problem, imho, is that people say app_name_x, and the thought is, "oh, that's a cute little process". Obviously such thoughts are a massive simplification of reality, but i do think the cause is: 1) audience isn't versed in how software works and 2) app names tend to be in the singular, which suggests something monolithic.
    FF, as you've noted, has been both threaded and multiprocess for years, but the language in this area is such that it assumes a decent amount of familiarity with, not only software, but the particulars of a browser.

Leave a comment:

• liam
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    - No support for HTML5 input types datetime, datetime-local, date, time, month, week.
    You mention this EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. Do you think mentioning it here will result in the feature being implemented faster? Is it simply aggravation?
    It's really only a big deal if it's essential for your sites to have these pickers using native widgets (or js is disabled, or you don't want to include libraries), then no solution is particularly nice, but going with something like polymer is a completely legitimate alternative.
    ​​​​​​

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=888320 metabug for input type https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1283381 metabug for ui

Leave a comment:

• Anvil
    replied
    Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
    I'm sincere Linux needs an its own browser based on Qtwebengine wayland Mesa completely able to take advantage of hardware acceleration. A PLETORA of distros and desktop environments vs 0 official linux browser is very ABSURD.
    Quipzilla is QT browser i think , Epiphany is a GTK based Browser in linux . Wayland support in KDE is utter Crap atm, dunno what it'll be like in 5.9.0 . Firefox will never play nicely in a Wayland environment maybe untill it switches to Servo permanently

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by LinAGKar View Post

That's not multi-threading, that's multi-process, where the content is run in a separate process from the chrome. It has nothing to do with multi-threaded JS.
    Originally posted by adler187 View Post

Electrolysis is for multi-process support, not multi-threading. Firefox already make use of multiple threads:

Code:
    $ grep Threads: /proc/$(pidof /usr/lib/firefox/firefox)/status
    Threads: 72
    (on Firefox 51)
    You're both right of course. I can't believe after all these years I still use those interchangeably. When I know too well they're not.
    To add insult to injury, I've actually checked htop before posting and it was clearly showing me both threads (many) and processes (a couple)

Leave a comment:

• devius
    replied
    Some of the feature additions to Firefox 52 include the ability to send/open a tab from one device to another with Firefox Sync
    Hmmm, I only started using that feature recently, but with version 51 that is already possible.

Leave a comment:

• defaultUser
    replied
    Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
    I'm sincere Linux needs an its own browser based on Qtwebengine wayland Mesa completely able to take advantage of hardware acceleration. A PLETORA of distros and desktop environments vs 0 official linux browser is very ABSURD.
    Nowadays is completely unproductive, not helpful to have a browser tied to an unique OS, only walled gardens try to do this

Leave a comment:

• Azrael5
    replied
    Last edited by Azrael5; 03 February 2017, 03:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• franglais125
    replied
    Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    Google Hangouts does not work.
    Regarding Hangouts, apparently Google is porting it to work with webRTC for calls. See the link below.

Leave a comment:

• franglais125
    replied
    Originally posted by DanL View Post
    - They really should have waited until FF 53 to make this change, considering that FF 52 will be the base for the next ESR
    Firefox 52 ESR will support NPAPI until ~2018

Leave a comment:

• adler187
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post

It's not. You can go to about:support to check multi-threading status. Some addons are incompatible with multi-threading (you can check status for many plugins here: https://arewee10syet.com/). If FF detects an incompatible add-on, if will turn off multi-threading rather than letting the browser/add-on misbehave, but there's a way to force multi-threading on, too.
    And afaik, there are plans to parallelize additional things in the future.
    Electrolysis is for multi-process support, not multi-threading. Firefox already make use of multiple threads:

Code:
    $ grep Threads: /proc/$(pidof /usr/lib/firefox/firefox)/status
    Threads:        72
    (on Firefox 51)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X