Changes To Look Forward To With Firefox 52

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
    @All of those Elementary OS lovers, don't you think it's weird (as in safety) to have Midori as default?
    Midori is replaced with gnome-web on elementary OS 0.4 Loki which was released last year. But yeah, it wasn't a good choice if you look at security, stability, features, plugins and extensions, etc...

Comment

Great, the forum is eating my posts...

Comment

Originally posted by JonathanM View Post
        Midori is replaced with gnome-web on elementary OS 0.4 Loki which was released last year. But yeah, it wasn't a good choice if you look at security, stability, features, plugins and extensions, etc...
        I like Elementary OS and I run it. They picked Midori first and then Epiphany later because they could more easily re-theme them to work with the Elementary desktop themes, title bar behavior, etc...

I think the team's focus on beautiful aesthetics is admirable. But everything else about Elementary's desktop environment is fast and stable as well as pretty. Midori and Epiphany aren't. The first thing I do on Elementary is install Firefox and Chrome.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post

Nice rock you've been living under.
          Wow, tanks for noticing man!

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
            it requires to use pulseaudio, uses more ram than Chrome and Google Hangouts does not work. It is garbage software now, used firefox for several years.
            There is ongoing work to make OSSv4 natively working as an audio backend
            RESOLVED (waterlaz) in Core - Audio/Video: cubeb. Last updated 2022-02-07.

Comment

Originally posted by crystall View Post

WebRTC is the safe, standardized way of sending A/V streams to a browser, Firefox and Chrome have supported it for over two years and it's coming to Edge and Safari too. If TP-Link can't update its platforms to use standardized methods then their software support is mediocre at best.
              You are missing the point of my post. TP-Link was (AFAIK) the only manufacturer of IP cameras to choose the opensource way to show video of their cameras in a web browser. And they got burned for it. The funny thing is, if they used a Internet Explorer plugin, like all the other companies, they didn't have to worry about any API breakage. But they choose opensource, and the opensource guys left they hanging.

TP-Link provides 5 years of firmware support for they products, witch is more than some other multibillionaire companies do (coff "Google Nexus devices" coff), and the camera I have is more that 5 years old. I choose it because it was the only manufacturer that allowed you to use all its features in Linux, without any IE crap. You still could see and operate it trough other protocols, like OVINF. There are several Android apps for that, and my NVR is using it. The only thing that will stop work is the browser video plugin, although you still can see the feed trough JPEG images, but that's inferior than the VLC plugin.

Mozilla isn't the only one here to blame, Google dropped the ball earlier too. But the message is the same: if you are a hardware manufacturer, you cannot thrust then to base your product features better than Microsoft, and to me this is a very bad message from the opensource guys.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

It's not. You can go to about:support to check multi-threading status. Some addons are incompatible with multi-threading (you can check status for many plugins here: https://arewee10syet.com/). If FF detects an incompatible add-on, if will turn off multi-threading rather than letting the browser/add-on misbehave, but there's a way to force multi-threading on, too.
                And afaik, there are plans to parallelize additional things in the future.
                That's not multi-threading, that's multi-process, where the content is run in a separate process from the chrome. It has nothing to do with multi-threaded JS.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

You are missing the point of my post. TP-Link was (AFAIK) the only manufacturer of IP cameras to choose the opensource way to show video of their cameras in a web browser. And they got burned for it. The funny thing is, if they used a Internet Explorer plugin, like all the other companies, they didn't have to worry about any API breakage. But they choose opensource, and the opensource guys left they hanging.

TP-Link provides 5 years of firmware support for they products, witch is more than some other multibillionaire companies do (coff "Google Nexus devices" coff), and the camera I have is more that 5 years old. I choose it because it was the only manufacturer that allowed you to use all its features in Linux, without any IE crap. You still could see and operate it trough other protocols, like OVINF. There are several Android apps for that, and my NVR is using it. The only thing that will stop work is the browser video plugin, although you still can see the feed trough JPEG images, but that's inferior than the VLC plugin.

Mozilla isn't the only one here to blame, Google dropped the ball earlier too. But the message is the same: if you are a hardware manufacturer, you cannot thrust then to base your product features better than Microsoft, and to me this is a very bad message from the opensource guys.
                  You didn't notice MS dropping IE and ActiveX, too? IE11 is currently still there, beeing an optional addon, hidden deep in the Startmenu. But the future way to go if you believe MS is MS Edge, not supporting ActiveX.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

It's not. You can go to about:support to check multi-threading status. Some addons are incompatible with multi-threading (you can check status for many plugins here: https://arewee10syet.com/). If FF detects an incompatible add-on, if will turn off multi-threading rather than letting the browser/add-on misbehave, but there's a way to force multi-threading on, too.
                    And afaik, there are plans to parallelize additional things in the future.
                    Electrolysis is for multi-process support, not multi-threading. Firefox already make use of multiple threads:

Code:
                    $ grep Threads: /proc/$(pidof /usr/lib/firefox/firefox)/status
                    Threads:        72
                    (on Firefox 51)

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                      - They really should have waited until FF 53 to make this change, considering that FF 52 will be the base for the next ESR
                      Firefox 52 ESR will support NPAPI until ~2018

Comment

Working...
                      X