Steam's Linux Marketshare For January Was 0.8%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post

The tyrant Obama turned the US into a 1984 style surveillance state with all his bulk data collection and domestic surveillance programs, hopefully Trump can clean up the mess.
    After 4 years go by, you are going to notice that nothing has changed much. Trump can do a lot of "what he wants" in foreign policy, regarding internal policies, his hands are quite tied by Senate and Congress. And he has not even tried to make friends in either. So, what probably will follow: he will keep attempting to play little dictator thinking he is still CEO of a corporation but without shareholders and everyone he has crossed or is going to cross, are going to joyfully knife his back.
    Last edited by aht0; 03 February 2017, 09:12 AM.

Comment

I switched to linux and have been using it exclusively since june 2016. November was my first steam survey. December and January I had no survey and just last night
      February 2 I did the steam survey. Both times I had the survey was right after I did a fresh install of linux with a new steam client. I have to reinstall cause i keep breaking things lol. I just broke ubuntu gnome 16.10 after only 9 days. I tried to use a program called timeshift btrfs so i could do rollbacks with snapshots in case
      kernel and mesa upgrades went bad. The btrfs drive got corrupted so i wiped it and put opensuse leap on it. I'll play it safe for awhile with leap and if i get frisky i will tumbleweed it.

I have no interest in windows 10.My brother offered to buy it for me and i said no thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

It was not greatest, just designed for the hardware available at the time... Windows XP required Penitium 1 @ 233 MHz to run and just 64 MB of RAM, and no sound card required and no internet required of course These people with i386/i486 hardware and 2D cards cried at the same moment, and OS was claimed to be too much fancy bloat

Top notch GPUs at that time had unbelieveble up to 64 MB of DDR1 VRAM while gaming mainstream had 8/16 MB and those lucky even 32 MB of SDR ... while majority of games were still at 16bit depth

Windows XP only invented photo wallpaper by default and more colorful themes over 95/98/Me/2000...
        I remember that era. Windows XP's claim to fame over 95/98/Me/2000 in the gaming sphere wasn't its performance, it's that it gave you the stability of an NT-series Windows while, via compatibility modes, it managed to have quite possibly the largest range of backward compatibility Microsoft ever achieved... and then, in later years when CPUs got faster, DOSBox extended that to basically cover everything.

That's why I run it on my Athlon64 3200+ w/i AGP retro-gaming PC. With one exception (the installer for the first Star Trek Armada, which I run in Wine), it covers everything newer than the stuff I run on my 133MHz Pentium retro-gaming PC. (Up to the point where they become too demanding for the AGP video card in it, of course.)
        Last edited by ssokolow; 04 February 2017, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

Gamers may not love Microsoft, but if you've dealt with PC gamers at length, you'll know that a lot of them will instinctively bash and dismiss all competitors. They're probably some of the most defensive people on the internet when it comes down to it.
          It's not just PC gamers. As this song by Flashgitz elegantly put it "We don't like ours, but we sure hate yours." I just try to stay out of the social side of things altogether.

Comment

Working...
          X