Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam's Linux Marketshare For January Was 0.8%

Phoronix: Steam's Linux Marketshare For January Was 0.8%

Valve has released their latest monthly numbers for the Steam Survey, including the Linux stats...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Microsoft is launching Windows 10 Cloud, which is a edition of Windows that is locked-down and targeted to compete with Chrome OS.
    It only runs apps from the Windows Store, hence it is not possible to use Steam.

Comment

He, he, most interesting in that survey is that both 64bit and 32bit Windows 10 go down, while Windows XP goes up

Survey likely was largely maded of China, those still have 18% of Windows XP users Chineses are strongest community, extending that dead horse tramendiosly
      Last edited by dungeon; 02 February 2017, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Well, Windows XP was the greatest horse they ever made, i mean last time I ran it, it had 1~2% CPU utilization. Now if you want that you have to run Linux with some basic WM.

Comment

Absolute numbers are needed. The percentage will never show how many of us are there.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

What does "locked-down" mean?
            Like you can only install software from the Windows Store, you can't download .exe files from your web browser and install those.
            No competing stores allowed, so you can only download games from Windows Store, not other third-party stores such as Steam.
            Only UWP (Universal Windows Platform) apps will run, not traditional Win32 software applications.
            Probably locked boot loader and forced updates too and less settings and options.
            A safe, secure, walled garden.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
              He, he, most interesting in that survey is that both 64bit and 32bit Windows 10 go down, while Windows XP goes up

Survey likely was largely maded of China, those still have 18% of Windows XP users Chineses are strongest community, extending that dead horse tramendiosly
              If we're talking home users, then you're probably right. But I know a lot of stores and companies here in the Netherlands who are still using XP as well. Even the City Council/City Hall of my city is still using XP for everything (except notetaking during debates, which are done on iPads).
              So XP is still very much in use here. But for Steam that doesn't really matter in this case. As you said: it's probably largely made up of Chinese persons.
              Last edited by Vistaus; 02 February 2017, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Like you can only install software from the Windows Store, you can't download .exe files from your web browser and install those.
                No competing stores allowed, so you can only download games from Windows Store, not other third-party stores such as Steam.
                Only UWP (Universal Windows Platform) apps will run, not traditional Win32 software applications.
                Probably locked boot loader and forced updates too and less settings and options.
                A safe, secure, walled garden.
                I wonder if there's a way around that. I remember when I used Windows 8.1 briefly on a Surface RT, it was locked down to Windows Store apps as well but eventually a little hack was created to allow .exe files (only ARM though, but it was still useful in some cases).

Comment

It doesn't look like the Steam Winter Sale or those upgrading their PCs around the holidays led to any increase (percentage-wise) for Steam on Linux
                  I'm pretty sure people won't switch to Linux because of a game sale and I don't think those receiving/buying new components will be switching to Linux because of those new parts either. When you switch from one OS to another the most important aspects are going to be that your current software and hardware works with the new OS. The only exception to this are people who switch to OSX, but they have to get a whole new machine to do so.

It would definitely be interesting to see some absolute numbers as the PC gaming market has as been growing as a whole over the last couple of years and the absolute numbers would show if Linux has stayed stale or if it just hasn't been able to keep up with the growth under Windows.

Comment

i think that this results isn't bad (also when there is a small decrease), because steam users increase a lot every year, so every months there are a lot of new users, obviously the major of the new user will use steam on windows, then also if there are some new steam user on linux, on the percentage can results that linux users are decreased.
                    then considering that windows users on steam are always more, is a good results if linux percentage is the same of past months, or if bigger, but also if is a little worse, i think that isn't a bad results, becahuse anyway, windows steam users are always more month after month.
                    i'm curious to see the real number of users (windows, linux and mac), but considering that every year, total steam users increasing a lot, and considering that linux users, less or more are always the same percentage, this means that also linux steam users are increasing a bit every year.

Sorry for my english but i'm italian, i hope you understand my comment

Comment

Working...
                    X