KDE Plasma 5.9 Hits The Web With Global Menus, Better Wayland Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
    Theghost. It is not about what software you like. It is about security and sustainability. Friends don't let friends run bad dormant code. Be it X, mint or KDE.
    KDE has had fewer CVEs than Gnome in the last year, despite being much more comprehensive in terms of functionality...

Comment

Many thanks to the KDE team for putting out and maintaining a DE for power users. I don't know what I would run without you guys.
      Last edited by deck; 01 February 2017, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
        In short, we're making it look more like GNOME who made their platform look more like OS X. Why? Because it's a much more functional ergonomic design.

Personally, KDE is junk for UI/UX design. This is duct tape on the entire Plasma concept. GNOME gets stronger with each release.
        And how much market share does os x shit has? Both gnome and os x are usability nightmare. KDE is by far more usable.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
          Theghost. It is not about what software you like. It is about security and sustainability. Friends don't let friends run bad dormant code. Be it X, mint or KDE.
          If something is insecure it's gnome. Its developers have no clue in real programming so they're using dozens of crap languages like python, c# and js. Their way to 'fix' freaking gnome bugs is to clear bug tracker and make new, more broken gnome release. Gnome is most inconsistent DE out there.

Comment

KDE Plasma is at the moment best and most usable Linux Desktop Enviroment. Yes i tried Arch + Gnome on Wayland and Fedora 25 on same machine BUT its complete JOKE and not very usable for anything other than running web browser trough slow XWayland also its not very power efficient and laggy overall... Yes KDE Plasma sucks on Wayland too but why use it in the first place? Run Weston if u want nice limited Wayland experience but dont use it on anything more complex than that... im sure that it wont be ready until 2020 for normal usage.

And the KDE Aplications are DOPE... There is no way for me to switch back to Windows 10 or any other Desktop Enviroment on my Linux machine after using amazing the Kate text editor(better than Notepad++ on Windows for syntax higlighting and everything else), Dolphin file manager, Kcalc, Gwenview image viewer or Okular pdf reader(finally ported to KF5).
            All this in 1/5 of disk space compared to Windows 10, 1/3 of RAM usage, nearly same battery life if not a better and fuc&^ing fast Blender rendering...

No single crash or glitch on my Arch system(KDE 5.9.0, Qt 5.8.0, Custom kernel 4.10.0-rc6, SOC: Braswell N3710, 6W TDP) its so DOPE combined with nice open source vulkan drivers by intel.

https://s24.postimg.org/eylzoksx1/Sc...201_202718.png

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

If something is insecure it's gnome. Its developers have no clue in real programming so they're using dozens of crap languages like python, c# and js. Their way to 'fix' freaking gnome bugs is to clear bug tracker and make new, more broken gnome release. Gnome is most inconsistent DE out there.
              Cute how you are fanboying and throwing shit at other DEs. While we delivered quite a lot of examples by now, you failed to give us even a single one to back up your claims.

Even more hilarious is that you call languages shit which KDE uses for core stuff like plasmoids (js), and the highlight is you going on about market share where OS X has more than all Linux desktops combined.

Ah well, keep fanboying, fortunately when KDE finally runs out of developer manpower big mouthed users are not going to save anything. *munches popcorn*

Comment

Originally posted by darclide View Post

Cute how you are fanboying and throwing shit at other DEs.
                Ding ding ding ding! We have a winner! Congratulations on winning the hypocrisy jackpot. Your special prize this week is a year's supply of cognitive dissonance.

Comment

Originally posted by marmarama View Post

Ding ding ding ding! We have a winner! Congratulations on winning the hypocrisy jackpot. Your special prize this week is a year's supply of cognitive dissonance.
                  Oh dearie me, oh dearie me, you really must be running out of decent valid arguments when all you can do is cut a quote right before the important part so you can abuse it to badmouth someone. Is that really the best you can do? No examples, no facts from your side? Just ad hominem attacks, tailored half-quotes and claims? Then I'm not really sure who makes KDE look worse, the fanboys "protecting" it or people bringing up facts and complaints against it. I must say: at least KDE suits you, then.

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post
                    You can use one of the alternative launchers, they have a dashboard one which shouold be more mobile/touchscreen friendly. You could then trigger this via the start button or a large desktop widget/button I guess. There is a plasma widget that you can size/position to whatever is comfortable for you on the desktop and have access immediately by viewing your desktop(could be on another virtual desktop that doesn't have any windows, or just use a show desktop button/action if you like). I'm not sure about swiping but assume it would be like triggering with mouse hot corners/edges which should be easy to get triggering the dashboard launcher as well.

Sorry I don't quite follow, what exactly is the issue and what do you get from swiping the edge that KDE doesn't do?

Should be doable with KDE provided the gesture is recognized, sounds like a nice feature for touchscreen/touchpad users.

No idea with KDE, I'd hope it could as that'd be rather basic expectation on mobile devices, perhaps Plasma Mobile does it?

I think touch got improved with the just released 5.9 Plasma, so this may be better now.
                    I cutted the "enlarge the titlebar" part, because I already know that part.

Let's start from a common base. I really LOVE KDE. I love even the most hated parts of it (Akonadi, Baloo, both are WAY more powerful than their GNOME counterparts). But the focus of KDE, for the best and also for the worst, is the traditional desktop. I can't, and won't, load a traditional desktop with GNOME, because the use case for GNOME isn't the traditional desktop, it's the touchscreen hybrid.

So.

1. I can use those alternative launchers. I know them very well. But I cannot swipe from outside the screen and get something with Plasma. Plasma doesn't recognize that gesture. Plasma recognizes when I carry my mouse to the corner, or to the border, but it isn't aware of something that happens outside the screen, inside.

2. The issue is: there are no swipes from the edge for KDE. So reaching the tray is difficult, and, to get notifications, I must press with my finger a tiny icon. With GNOME, I can swipe from the edge, so I get notifications (swipe from the middle, upper screen, down), tray (swipe from the bottom corner), indicators (swipe from the left, upper corner, down), and access the Activities menu.

3. There is no support for a) autorotation, and b) rotation lock, with support for the button to lock rotation, in KDE's UI. GNOME has that support.

4. I will try, but since I enabled Secure Boot (I love Fedora, but that choice carries consequences), my choices of distro are limited.

Comment

e.g. the scroll bar issues
                      A 5.9 feature? Really? I haven't tried 5.9 out yet, but iirc you complained about it not wokring well with GTK apps or something? That's because I don't know...requires GTK support? They're not too fond of supporting KDE integration and are only interested in Gnome from what I hear. Meanwhile KDE/Qt put in the effort to support their apps looking better in other DE like Gnome.

<Examples>
                      None of those have stuck out to me, so I'm not sure if they're as bad as you're making them out to be. Networking should be better with the system settings module in 5.9. Biggest gripe for me off the top of my head is when a Gnome/GTK app forces me to use their file dialog instead of letting me use the native KDE/Qt one which imo is much nicer. On Gnome I had horrible graphical issues and glitches with my laptop and work desktop machine.

Things like resuming from suspend and my mouse cursor was invisible requiring me to switch tty and back to fix, sometimes the systems just froze/locked up completely, not had that issue with KDE. Gnome felt unprofessional and unreliable to me, I understand it could be due to hardware or distro but I experienced with that several systems with varied hardware and KDE is working absolutely fine. Some updates broke the themes horribly too, I remember this one update to 3.20 or 3.22 was really bad affecting plenty of users being vocal online. KDE isn't perfect either, Qt 5.6 caused a lot of headaches and fuss too.

As far as extensions go: I never wrote that KDE doesn't have any, just that GNOME has some to cover what some people consider a lack of functionality in GNOME compared to KDE.
                      You're saying the "superior" Gnome extensions are because they can bring Gnome to achieve functionality available in KDE by default? Sorry how is that a good point or "superior"?

The rest of your points are biased, personal experiences and views, these are of course not debatable, thus I rather bring up facts and examples.
                      Uhh...pretty sure some of what you've been saying is biased and influenced by your own experiences/views. Some of the problems you bring up aren't problems to me or others, in my experiences KDE has been better for me personally than Gnome, for you it's the opposite and that's cool dude. Use what works for you and what you like, I try not to be biased as Gnome is nice most of the time, it's just not as good for my needs as what KDE does for me.
                      Last edited by polarathene; 01 February 2017, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X