KDE Plasma 5.9 Hits The Web With Global Menus, Better Wayland Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Griffin View Post

Thank you for proving my point. Just like any serious desktop the car makers won´t ship KDE. No one wants to ship millions of dormant LOCs.
    trolling much?

no car maker would ship any DE, they just dont need a complete DE.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
      Great, I was going to ask if we finally got decent multi monitor support on wayland but it seems we still have bigger issues...
      Uh... it sorta works, after starting systemsettings5, but sometimes breaks again and new windows don't have window buttons. Also plasmashell only works right after pkill plasmashell; plasmashell&!

I have my OSVR HDK2 as second monitor and enabling it worked fine. Disabling it doesn't work though.

Comment

Lots of neat new features, the return of some old ones that disappeared in the Plasma 5 transition, and some good visual improvements. Wayland transition well on course, looks like it might be good enough to use as a daily driver - it worked ok-ish in 5.8 on Neon but there were a few too many little problems, like the missing touchpad config and window management being a bit random. Overall, looks like a good release all round, can't wait to try it.

It's amusing seeing how much vitriol each KDE announcement brings with it from users of other desktops on here. KDE continues just trucking on, and keeps delivering what its user base wants piece by piece. The market some of the other traditional Linux desktops have gone after simply doesn't exist to any great extent; the year of the mainstream Linux desktop has happened, and it looks Chrome OS-shaped, for better or worse. With that in mind, catering for power users that want a desktop on top of 'classic' GNU/Linux seems like a pretty smart move to me, rather than chasing a mythical 'ordinary user' market that is already better served by other alternatives, a market that in any case isn't in a particular hurry to abandon Windows, macOS, iOS or Android.

Comment

In short, we're making it look more like GNOME who made their platform look more like OS X. Why? Because it's a much more functional ergonomic design.

Personally, KDE is junk for UI/UX design. This is duct tape on the entire Plasma concept. GNOME gets stronger with each release.

Comment

Originally posted by haagch View Post
            Uh... it sorta works, after starting systemsettings5, but sometimes breaks again and new windows don't have window buttons. Also plasmashell only works right after pkill plasmashell; plasmashell&!

I have my OSVR HDK2 as second monitor and enabling it worked fine. Disabling it doesn't work though.
            Originally posted by darclide View Post
            Oh, and multi monitor is obviously still broken, even more so in Wayland.
            Groan... I really would love to be actually able to keep using KDE, but every new release I get sadder.
            One day or the other the next bug will be a showstopper and I will have to switch to Gnome
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

Groan... I really would love to be actually able to keep using KDE, but every new release I get sadder.
              One day or the other the next bug will be a showstopper and I will have to switch to Gnome
              Do it. Trust me, you won't regret it. I switched away months ago and convinced dozens of people to, nobody regretted it so far.
              And since when I switched, GNOME got a lot better. You'll notice
              • They have a UX team that actually knows UX, and doesn't make it worse with every release
              • They have more than one people working on Wayland stuff, and things are actually usable compared to with KDE
              • They rarely break functionality and features just because "lol, I felt like it" and they are in general a lot nicer to work with
              • The toolkit (GTK) is actually built for their needs, they are not a niche product using it, which is neither tested nor supported

And basic, essential stuff like a multi monitor setup just works, out of the box.

Given that KDE also removes setting by setting with every release (despite their slogan, which is again lying to their users) you won't miss much, they are getting closer to GNOME in that regard every release, they just suck more everywhere else. And GNOME has extensions that make it far more powerfull than KDE.

Comment

• The scrollbars differ between GTK and Qt breeze. Therefor GTK applications (e.g. Firefox, GIMP) will look and behave different to Qt applications

Then convince GNOME to make GTK respect Qt styles the same way Qt has long respected GTK styles. Until then, KDE and Qt developers have to do the best they can.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                  Then convince GNOME to make GTK respect Qt styles the same way Qt has long respected GTK styles. Until then, KDE and Qt developers have to do the best they can.
                  The GTK people are not to blame here, it works and worked until 5.9. It's the KDE design team which is incompetent when it comes to internal communication, they changed the Qt style without telling and waiting for GTK people to catch up, so they release something half-broken. Great work.

Comment

The GTK people are not to blame here, it works and worked until 5.9. It's the KDE design team which is incompetent when it comes to internal communication, they changed the Qt style without telling and waiting for GTK people to catch up, so they release something half-broken. Great work.
                    Ignoring the fact that there wouldn't be a need for "GTK people" in the KDE design time if GTK would support Qt themes like Qt supports GTK themes, do you have a source to back this up or is this just what you imagine happened?

Comment

Do it. Trust me, you won't regret it. I switched away months ago and convinced dozens of people to, nobody regretted it so far.
                      And since when I switched, GNOME got a lot better. You'll notice
                      • They have a UX team that actually knows UX, and doesn't make it worse with every release

How many releases have you seen, since "months ago"?

As a general note: those of us who use KDE, use it for a reason. We all know about Gnome and have tried it at various points in time. It is our conscious decision to stick with KDE. Please, for the love of God, stop telling us which DE to use. We don't troll threads on Gnome telling you how great KDE is, please have the courtesy to do the same.

NB The above applies to Xfce as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X