Clear All

• liam
    replied
    Originally posted by caligula View Post

Um did you read the article?
    native: 6.5 seconds
    Under Chrome without SIMD.js it took 18 seconds
    With Firefox, also without SIMD.js, it took about 11 seconds
    With Firefox Nightly using SIMD.js and EmScripten building their SSE2 code yielded a time of about 15 seconds.

1.3 times? ok. Nice job cherry picking one synthetic result, where it doesn't suck.
    As others have said, we don't know how well the simd.js was employed. Since it was slower and this test maps well to simd it looks something is amiss.
    The references I cited were composed of many more tests than a single example of unknown code quality.
    However, please take a look at the article Michael released today that includes the pentium and i7700k.
    Feel free to share more thorough benchmarks in that thread.

Leave a comment:

• caligula
    replied
    Originally posted by liam View Post

In general? Show me the numbers.
    What I've found is the following:

​​​​​
    Um did you read the article?
    native: 6.5 seconds
    Under Chrome without SIMD.js it took 18 seconds
    With Firefox, also without SIMD.js, it took about 11 seconds
    With Firefox Nightly using SIMD.js and EmScripten building their SSE2 code yielded a time of about 15 seconds.

1.3 times? ok. Nice job cherry picking one synthetic result, where it doesn't suck.

Leave a comment:

• liam
    replied
    Originally posted by caligula View Post

Nobody really wants native code programs these days. Native performance scares them. If you compare those numbers to the OpenCL benchmarks with Intel CPUs, emscripten / asm.js is like buying a $350 CPU (i7 7700k) and executing programs like you had a $60 CPU (Pentium G4400). What a great way to waste power.
    In general? Show me the numbers.
    What I've found is the following:
    ​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• hansg
    replied
    It would be interesting to see a comparison with the original native code, instead of just various emscripten versions.

Leave a comment:

• ldo17
    replied
    There are some secrets of Nature that Man was never meant to tamper with.. .

Leave a comment:

• caligula
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    I agree that it is interesting. It's just the
    "Take a C/C++ program and turn it into javascript to run in a browser. What could possibly go wrong?" that scares me.
    Nobody really wants native code programs these days. Native performance scares them. If you compare those numbers to the OpenCL benchmarks with Intel CPUs, emscripten / asm.js is like buying a $350 CPU (i7 7700k) and executing programs like you had a $60 CPU (Pentium G4400). What a great way to waste power.
    Last edited by caligula; 29 January 2017, 09:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• marco-c
    replied
    Originally posted by shmerl View Post

It's not fully ready yet, but Emscripten already has experimental support for WebAssembly target, and Rust input. See:
    * https://users.rust-lang.org/t/compil...mscripten/7627
    * https://blog.rust-lang.org/2016/12/22/Rust-1.14.html
    Yes, what I was trying to say is that the result of Icculus' benchmarks are not about pure JavaScript, but of something really close to WebAssembly.

Leave a comment:

• shmerl
    replied
    Originally posted by marco-c View Post
    Emscripten converts to asm.js, which is a subset of JavaScript pretty similar to WebAssembly (infact, WebAssembly was inspired by asm.js).
    It's not fully ready yet, but Emscripten already has experimental support for WebAssembly target, and Rust input. See:
    * https://users.rust-lang.org/t/compil...mscripten/7627
    * https://blog.rust-lang.org/2016/12/22/Rust-1.14.html

Leave a comment:

• marco-c
    replied
    Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
    Speaking of WebAssembly, I'd much rather see this test when converted to that rather than JavaScript.
    Emscripten converts to asm.js, which is a subset of JavaScript pretty similar to WebAssembly (infact, WebAssembly was inspired by asm.js).

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    "Take a C/C++ program and turn it into javascript to run in a browser. What could possibly go wrong?" that scares me.
    Well, it's already been done with several large projects and it's worked pretty well (see Unity, Unreal Engine, etc.).

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by shmerl View Post
    Why? It's an interesting project. Should help for example compiling Rust into WebAssembly.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X