No announcement yet.

Icculus: EmScripten Audio Conversion Performance In The Web Browser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are some secrets of Nature that Man was never meant to tamper with.. .

Comment

It would be interesting to see a comparison with the original native code, instead of just various emscripten versions.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Nobody really wants native code programs these days. Native performance scares them. If you compare those numbers to the OpenCL benchmarks with Intel CPUs, emscripten / asm.js is like buying a $350 CPU (i7 7700k) and executing programs like you had a $60 CPU (Pentium G4400). What a great way to waste power.
        In general? Show me the numbers.
        What I've found is the following:
        ​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post

In general? Show me the numbers.
          What I've found is the following:

​​​​​
          Um did you read the article?
          native: 6.5 seconds
          Under Chrome without SIMD.js it took 18 seconds
          With Firefox, also without SIMD.js, it took about 11 seconds
          With Firefox Nightly using SIMD.js and EmScripten building their SSE2 code yielded a time of about 15 seconds.

1.3 times? ok. Nice job cherry picking one synthetic result, where it doesn't suck.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Um did you read the article?
            native: 6.5 seconds
            Under Chrome without SIMD.js it took 18 seconds
            With Firefox, also without SIMD.js, it took about 11 seconds
            With Firefox Nightly using SIMD.js and EmScripten building their SSE2 code yielded a time of about 15 seconds.

1.3 times? ok. Nice job cherry picking one synthetic result, where it doesn't suck.
            As others have said, we don't know how well the simd.js was employed. Since it was slower and this test maps well to simd it looks something is amiss.
            The references I cited were composed of many more tests than a single example of unknown code quality.
            However, please take a look at the article Michael released today that includes the pentium and i7700k.
            Feel free to share more thorough benchmarks in that thread.

Comment

Working...
            X