Wine-Staging 2.0 Rolls Out For Experimental Users: Vulkan, D3D11, Etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boxie View Post

It would be wonderful if they could flatpack them! no need to install wine before to run things. double click -> it works!
    Some companies have been trying/doing it for years now. I can't find any references at this moment, besides https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articl...d-by-wine.8870

Edit:
    Limbo was initially a game that used a wine wrapper. It received bad rep because there were a lot of problems. They asked icculus to make a native port it for them. The native port was finished in June 2014 https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articl...o-icculus.3851 (I think phoronix covered it too). People were very happy when the native port was released and said it solved a lot of problems for them https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gamin...able_from_the/
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 27 January 2017, 01:19 AM. Reason: Added more info under initial message

Comment

Originally posted by DIRT View Post

Native or in wine? Amd cards don't run it so fast native atm.
      Using r9 290 on radeonsi, not really noticable slower than last time i tried it on windows ^^

Originally posted by ResponseWriter View Post

You forgot the textureless/flat trees.

Sure, framerates are 'OK' but I've experienced other things like trouble finding a non-official server to play on recently (would 'connect' then return to menu for most of them), had a lot of 'rubber band' effect on some servers, etc. I agree that it's got better since it was first ported, though.

Compare the Linux version with screenshots of the Windows version and you'll see what I mean about graphical effects.
      hm, don't know about the tree thing, haven't noticed something like that ^^
      When i look at screenshots of the friend i play with there is not too much difference regarding effects. But maybe it's more noticable when seeing it "live" than on screens?
      We've got our own server and besides very long loading times (compared to the friend on windows) and "mod version mismatch" i've got no trouble connecting...Rubberbanding is there, but thats the same on win i think?

all in all it's pretty playable (sure, still has more than enough quriks to iron out ^^) - and that's whats matters imho, as ark isn't really a game that lives mainly through it's graphics...

Comment

If Wine's DX11 support improves enough over the next two years, I can see myself starting to complain about Feral / VP / eON ports using a proprietary translation layer instead of an open source one like Wine. This is a good thing!

Comment

[QUOTE=Termy;n927593]

Using r9 290 on radeonsi, not really noticable slower than last time i tried it on windows ^^

/QUOTE]

My cpu is a bit old but it ran faster on fglrx. On mesa I get under 30 pretty much all the time on a 270x on the lowest setting. Also only one map loads the others crash the game on mesa.

My computer is nerfed by running mesa.

Comment

Working...
          X