No announcement yet.

NetworkManager 1.6 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's see if it fixes anything. I've had some odd issues with the NM gui on my laptop. For instance when you type the WiFi password (WPA2), it won't accept any password nor let the user connect. The same password works in nmtui. Go figure. When nmtui connects, the connection shows up in the GUI applet too.

Comment

I noticed a while back that NM is a resource hog in Steam.

My ISP was acting out and I was forced to use offline mode in Steam to play games. To my surprise, the FPS increased by > 20% and the loading times were cut to 1/3rd in Shadows of Mordor. I noticed similar performance gains in other games playing them ofline compared to online.

Later on, when my internet connection was restored, I experimented and replaced NM with networkd and observed the very same gains as when using offline mode.

Has anyone else had this experience? Is this because of Steam not using NM properly, or NM generally acting like this even outside Steam?

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
        Not by me. I made sure it does not work "by default" and wiped the openSUSE from harddrive right after..
        If you don't report or make sure that there is a bug report already, none will fix it.
        Developers don't have all modem cards in existence so they can't test them all.

Comment

Originally posted by ldo17 View Post
          Unlike systemd, this was one thing that caused me frequent problems when it was introduced into Debian.

It’s handy on a laptop, but I ban it from my sedentary machines.
          It still causes problems since it messes up network initialization, services like tftp will fail to start. Debian actually recommends to not use it, unless you are on a Laptop (https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/d...on_for_desktop)

The annoying thing is that the network settings apparently need it, and can`t setup the old and reliable ifupdown system. You either have to use NM, or edit textfiles.

Comment

Originally posted by makoven View Post
            Is already possible to configure bridges via GUI?
            I was able to, even with 1.2 and 1.4 (didn't try with earlier versions, not sure when it was exactly introduced).

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
              It still causes problems since it messes up network initialization, services like tftp will fail to start. Debian actually recommends to not use it, unless you are on a Laptop (https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/d...on_for_desktop)

The annoying thing is that the network settings apparently need it, and can`t setup the old and reliable ifupdown system. You either have to use NM, or edit textfiles.
              Well, there is NetworkManager-wait-online.service (and an equivalent for networkd, btw), which will block network.target until network has been brought up. Services depending on networking being up should depend on network.target. In such case, neither ifupdown or networkd are 100% reliable, as services are started concurently (but, as I already said, there's an equivalent service for networkd, which blocks network.target from starting until network has been properly brought up).

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                If you don't report or make sure that there is a bug report already, none will fix it.
                Developers don't have all modem cards in existence so they can't test them all.
                It assumes I am the only guy in the world using aforementioned card. Which, I am pretty sure, I am not. DW5570 went both into Dell Latitude laptops and Dell Precision mobile workstations.

Originally posted by StefanBruens View Post

(1)So blame yourself if it does not work. Problems not reported are problems not existing.

As the the DW5570 is a rebranded Sierra Wireless card, and other Sierra devices using the same chipset (MC73xx series) are working fine under Linux, it is likely it is supported under Linux (and openSUSE). Probably you only had not installed ModemManager (which is used by NetworkManager to support WWAN devices).
                For starters. Your gloating(1) does not make me feel more like a reporting shit. Rather the opposite. ModemManager was installed FYI. It's "ready-out-of-the-box" Linux, so I expect stuff "to just work". Especially hardware which is nearly 5 years old. I'll make allowances for hardware which is new or known to be not supported. It does not work -> I am going to simply install something else.

For seconds, it's not MC73xx but MC8805. 1min with a Google could have told you this.
                Last edited by aht0; 26 January 2017, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Never had a single issue with NetworkManager.

Comment

It assumes I am the only guy in the world using aforementioned card. Which, I am pretty sure, I am not. DW5570 went both into Dell Latitude laptops and Dell Precision mobile workstations.
                    You assume that you are the only guy in the world that has the aforementioned card AND decides to not report the issue. Which, I am pretty sure, you are not.

Don't worry and keep posting in forums, after all the problem is yours, with your card lol.

Comment

For starters. Your gloating(1) does not make me feel more like a reporting shit. Rather the opposite. ModemManager was installed FYI. It's "ready-out-of-the-box" Linux, so I expect stuff "to just work". Especially hardware which is nearly 5 years old. I'll make allowances for hardware which is new or known to be not supported. It does not work -> I am going to simply install something else.

For seconds, it's not MC73xx but MC8805. 1min with a Google could have told you this.
                      And your ranting improves nothing. Even ranting for 5 years won't help. If you expect stuff to just work, then buy stuff that is reported to work. BTW, just checked MC7710, MC7304, MC7750 and MC7455, all work on a stock openSUSE TW installation.

And if you cared to read or googled 1 minute yourself, you would have found that the MC8805 is the only Sierra Wireless card using the Qualcomm MDM9x15 chipset series which is not subject to the MC73xx naming.

Comment

Working...
                      X