Wine 3.0 To Be The Next Major Stable Release, More Version Bumping Ahead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 3.0 To Be The Next Major Stable Release, More Version Bumping Ahead

Phoronix: Wine 3.0 To Be The Next Major Stable Release, More Version Bumping Ahead

For those that were too excited about Wine 2.0 and its new features that you went off to download it before reading the rest of the email announcement, moving forward they are changing their versioning scheme...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

as long as they are numbers and they go up - it's all good!

Comment

Ok, fine, but why?

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
        Ok, fine, but why?
        It's fashionable to pretend much progress happens.
        The irony is that the move from Wine 1.6 to 1.8 had vastly more new features than 1.8 to 2.0.

Comment

I just wish the whole world would adopt Semantic Versioning, it would end all version number headaches

Comment

I normally am opposed to version number races because it generally detracts from having version numbers mean things. This time, though, it still kinda means the same thing. 1.8-2.0 was no bigger than any other stable release of Wine, so it may as well be 2.0-3.0 for all I care. It still means things.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
              Ok, fine, but why?
              Blame Google for starting this crap with Chrome and their incrementing of the major version practically weekly.

Comment

I wonder if time based releases will hurt the quality? When people are pushed they will cut corners. That's my experience when people are pressured to do something in time.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverMachine View Post
                  I wonder if time based releases will hurt the quality? When people are pushed they will cut corners. That's my experience when people are pressured to do something in time.
                  Considering they cut the major planned features from wine 2.0 they couldn't get done on time, no. They originally planned on android, d3d csmt, d3d11, full hid etc. So they just postponed it rather than rush. And for development they are used as is to doing a two week timed cadence.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SilverMachine View Post
                    Not necessarily. Firefox moved to time-based version numbers because the jump from 3.x to 4.x was long-overdue, massive, and broke a lot of people's profiles (including mine). Using quick, time-based releases forces you to think about how to keep change non-disruptive and to focus more on whether your change really is indivisible.

It's basically a way to counter the fact that humans aren't very good at long-term planning.

Comment

Working...
                    X