Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by liam View Post

You're welcome to your opinion.
    My view is that ignorant elitists are a particularly toxic form of so-called "life".
    You're welcome to your own opinion, as well. I'd rather have well-designed, modular software that actually conforms to the UNIX programming philosophy and is thus actually maintainable and easily-accessible and comprehensible.

Your personal attacks are completely unhelpful, and involve several incorrect assumptions: I'm not ignorant as to why the browsers are made monolithic (compatibility with a certain monolithic operating system with historically-poor speed of process spinup), and I'm hardly an elitist -- whatever THAT's supposed to mean in this context.

Comment

Originally posted by mulenmar View Post

You're welcome to your own opinion, as well. I'd rather have well-designed, modular software that actually conforms to the UNIX programming philosophy and is thus actually maintainable and easily-accessible and comprehensible.

Your personal attacks are completely unhelpful, and involve several incorrect assumptions: I'm not ignorant as to why the browsers are made monolithic (compatibility with a certain monolithic operating system with historically-poor speed of process spinup), and I'm hardly an elitist -- whatever THAT's supposed to mean in this context.
      Yeah, I'm sorry i said that. I regretted saying it as soon as i replied but i didn't want to edit it because i still really dislike the seemingly elitist sentiment (I'm referring to the belief, of those i call elitists, that people who do web development area somehow "lesser" (read: not so smart) as their counterparts who work on the desktop, and that, in general, the web developers need to learn their place by sticking to writing static document pages) that some developers have regarding the web as platform. Interestingly, or maybe not, i see that sentiment echoed more often in these forums than any other place i frequent.
      For what it's worth, i agree that the high level principle of building small, correct, modules they can be joined in a graph to produce higher level functionality is a good engineering principle when it is actually practical to do so. I also don't see what this UNIX principle has to do with the web as a platform.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post

I've heard of 10 ft used as a "typical" viewing distance for a residential living room tv. According to this graph, at a 10 ft viewing distance with a 60" or 65" display (both common sizes), 1080p is the optimal resolution, and 4k is "not worth it".

I have a 46" television, and I measured my viewing distance as 11 ft 2 in. I've noticed that at this distance and display size, 1080p is barely discernible from 720p, which is again confirmed by the graph.

So for 4k to be "worth it", one either needs a very large television with a shorter than average viewing distance, or an extremely large television at a standard viewing distance. Neither are commonplace.
        I happened upon a study by the bbc regarding tv viewing distance.

Median is 2.63m (8' 7.5").
        However, if they adjust their viewing distance by screen height the same way they do for HD then, for a 70" even they'd sit about 5m (~16.5').

Comment

Working...
        X