PulseAudio 10 Coming Soon, Using Memfd Shared Memory By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    I haven't had any PA issues since maybe 2009. Much of the time when people complain about PA, very often, the underlying ALSA layer is just as faulty. But, I guess it's easier to point fingers at something that used to be stereotypically buggy rather than submit a bug report with solid evidence that PA is the issue.
    Its easy to know where to point when ALSA just works and pulseaudio does not. The audio quality issue is still the biggest one, but pottering doesn't care about fixing issues in his software.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

Utter nonsense..
      My mother always told me never to argue with the stubborn and stupid. If he sincerely thinks that gstreamer is lower level than ALSA, then there's nothing you can do to convince him otherwise.

Comment

I haven't had any PA issues since maybe 2009. Much of the time when people complain about PA, very often, the underlying ALSA layer is just as faulty. But, I guess it's easier to point fingers at something that used to be stereotypically buggy rather than submit a bug report with solid evidence that PA is the issue.
        People have been saying this same nonsense for years, except I use a cmedia 8188 chipset, which has nearly flawless drivers, and PA latency can be like 1 or even 2 seconds. The biggest problem with PA has always been lag. Many times it is -impossible- to get a/v sync because of PA stupid high latency.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
          Good luck using alsa without gstreamer.
          Uh, ever heard of VLC?

Come back when you understand the difference between a codec and driver, and which one alsa deals with and which one gstreamer deals with. Once you understand that you will understand how ignorant this statement is (hint: alsa predates gstreamer by several years).

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post

My mother always told me never to argue with the stubborn and stupid. If he sincerely thinks that gstreamer is lower level than ALSA, then there's nothing you can do to convince him otherwise.
            Ask yourself how your reading comprehension is so utter shit that you jump to such retarded conclusions and still call other people stupid. My lord.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
              People have been saying this same nonsense for years, except I use a cmedia 8188 chipset, which has nearly flawless drivers, and PA latency can be like 1 or even 2 seconds. The biggest problem with PA has always been lag. Many times it is -impossible- to get a/v sync because of PA stupid high latency.
              In my experience, the only times PA has a latency issue is due to the rest of the system being too crappy to keep up. But there does seem to be a recurring theme that particularly USB devices are the ones with the most noteworthy latency issues. Generally though, if you (or anyone) is to take audio latency seriously, you wouldn't use a USB adapter in the first place. Unless your integrated audio is garbage (or non-existent,) I have yet to hear of a good reason to use USB audio.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post

Uh, ever heard of VLC?

Come back when you understand the difference between a codec and driver, and which one alsa deals with and which one gstreamer deals with. Once you understand that you will understand how ignorant this statement is (hint: alsa predates gstreamer by several years).
                Gstreamer is much better than VLC. And ALSA is more than a driver. talk about being not understanding and ignorance.
                Also where did i state that gstreamer is older than ALSA? Where are these illiterate people even coming from? Must be leannarddtdtd bots.

Comment

Gstreamer is much better than VLC.
                  You said, "Good luck using alsa without gstreamer." Which you think is better is irrelevant, since you can use alsa just fine without gstreamer.

And ALSA is more than a driver. talk about being not understanding and ignorance.p
                  Read what I wrote again. I never said ALSA is a driver.

Also where did i state that gstreamer is older than ALSA?
                  Again, you said, "Good luck using alsa without gstreamer." Considering people used ALSA just fine for years before gstreamer even existed, your statement makes no sense.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post

You said, "Good luck using alsa without gstreamer." Which you think is better is irrelevant, since you can use alsa just fine without gstreamer.

Read what I wrote again. I never said ALSA is a driver.

Again, you said, "Good luck using alsa without gstreamer." Considering people used ALSA just fine for years before gstreamer even existed, your statement makes no sense.
                    Yes and i am one of those people that used ALSA for a long time before Gstreamer or PA. What exaclty is YOUR point? What i said doesnt imply anything that you have said. Learn to read.

Comment

In my experience, the only times PA has a latency issue is due to the rest of the system being too crappy to keep up. But there does seem to be a recurring theme that particularly USB devices are the ones with the most noteworthy latency issues. Generally though, if you (or anyone) is to take audio latency seriously, you wouldn't use a USB adapter in the first place. Unless your integrated audio is garbage (or non-existent,) I have yet to hear of a good reason to use USB audio.
                      Buy HT OMEGA STRIKER 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

It is not USB and it has nearly flawless drivers. PA latency is exactly what the problem is now and what it was even when I first bought it. Audio should be streamed untouched, but PA absolutely refuses to let that happen and -IS- the root cause of PA stupid high latency. It has -NOTHING- to do with ALSA drivers and everything to do with PA retarded design.

Comment

Working...
                      X