X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lumks View Post
    Troll or just stupid?
    The two are not mutually exclusive...

I still have some audio problems (garbage out, sounds like a sampling frequency mismatch, it's painful to hear, and happens most of the time with my USB headsets) in some games or applications. Rocket League and Beat Hazard are such examples; it also sometimes happens in Mad Max. Is there any tool I could use for debugging this issue?
    This is not the best place for a support request or bug report. Plus, you would have to give a lot more info. Running alsa info script would be a good start. Does it happen without pulseaudio? Are those wine games? Have you tried looking at pulseaudio log for errors?

Comment

Originally posted by r_a_trip View Post

No, I am using PulseAudio without any trouble as well. Must be YMMV situation.
      There was tons of hatred for PulseAudio in the Linux community, especially early on. I'm not a sound quality nut, 120 kbs MP3s sound fine for me and 99% of the time I have a sound problem on Linux it's because I selected the wrong audio output or similar or didn't install the mp3 playback codecs. So I never could figure out if it deserved all the hatred or what.

Comment

The garbling happens a lot with skype and mumble starting up. It can be fixed with pavucontrol by switching the output from lineout to headphones and then back to line out.

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post
          I wonder if only I never got any issues with PulseAudio...
          Never had a problem also.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post

Lower the latency of PulseAudio and you'll be fine. At the very bottom of the /etc/pulse/daemon.conf file is

Code:
            ; default-fragments = 4
            ; default-fragment-size-msec = 25
            Remove the `;` and lower their values.
            not viable. As a user i want it to work correctly out of the box.

Comment

Originally posted by DIRT View Post
              The garbling happens a lot with skype and mumble starting up. It can be fixed with pavucontrol by switching the output from lineout to headphones and then back to line out.
              Thats not a fix. That is a hack.

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post

Troll or just stupid? 🤔 gstreamer isnt a replacement for pulse.

The thing that PA still needs is a good variable bit/samplerate machanism. While PA is great, resampling is not cool
                Good luck using alsa without gstreamer. I never said its a complete replacement. Jumping to such assumptions is a fallacy so ask yourself again who is stupid.

Also, resampling is very cool just ask leannardttdd.
                Last edited by cj.wijtmans; 18 January 2017, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  I haven't had any PA issues since maybe 2009. Much of the time when people complain about PA, very often, the underlying ALSA layer is just as faulty. But, I guess it's easier to point fingers at something that used to be stereotypically buggy rather than submit a bug report with solid evidence that PA is the issue.
                  Also a lot of such issues are due to the steam run-time using old libraries. However it doesnt change the fact that in a lot of circumstances pulseaudio is buggy as hell and has a high latency.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
                    As a user i want it to work correctly out of the box.
                    Thats not a fix. That is a hack.
                    Software has bugs (whether Lennart Poettering contributed to it or not). Get over it. Or maybe you could, GASP!, file bug reports if an issue only occurs on your specific hardware.

Good luck using alsa without gstreamer.
                    Utter nonsense..

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                      Software has bugs (whether Lennart Poettering contributed to it or not). Get over it. Or maybe you could, GASP!, file bug reports if an issue only occurs on your specific hardware.
                      "Bugs" are known for years > file a bug report?
                      Its crap by design.

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                      Utter nonsense..
                      nop

Comment

Working...
                      X