Wine-Staging 2.0-RC5 Improves Compatibility For Origin, GOG Galaxy & More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

GoG Galaxy runs fine under Wine, esp. Wine-Staging.
    Yes, it does now, but I was referring mostly to the next logical step; integrating all those nice old games that had multiplayer functionality.
    Hi

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

because I don't have Twitter automated but manage it manually, when I write an article to go up in middle of night, I usually post it to Twitter right before I go to sleep.
      that would explain it then!

Comment

By the way, how long does it take for packages to appear in Wine staging repos? For example their Debian packages are still not there.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
          Origin does not even run well on native Windows. It must be a real pain trying to make it work under Wine.
          You might be surprised, but sometimes Wine is more stable than native Windows. E.g. in November I tried GTAⅣ — it works just fine under Wine (it required me to update Mesa to git though — the Archlinux Mesa of that time rendered black screen under gallium-nine). The funny thing: the game is acquired from a local site via some well-known protocol — you guessed it, don't judge me, I'm just a poor student — and the page of the game has just tons of comments that either installer or the game doesn't work, or glitchy, and the author being an asshole, and such. But hey, it works on Archlinux with Mesa-git and wine-gallium-nine!^^

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
            We may not have Galaxy but at least we have lgogdownloader. I've been taking steps to have it natively supported by Gentoo's Portage so that once you've logged in, you can simply emerge witcher2 or whatever and it'll download and install it for you without any further action required.
            Very cool, looking forward to that being a thing if you finish it!

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
              You might be surprised, but sometimes Wine is more stable than native Windows. E.g. in November I tried GTAⅣ — it works just fine under Wine (it required me to update Mesa to git though — the Archlinux Mesa of that time rendered black screen under gallium-nine). The funny thing: the game is acquired from a local site via some well-known protocol — you guessed it, don't judge me, I'm just a poor student — and the page of the game has just tons of comments that either installer or the game doesn't work, or glitchy, and the author being an asshole, and such. But hey, it works on Archlinux with Mesa-git and wine-gallium-nine!^^
              +1 For being honest. I am not surprised that the "local site" version works well. In 2008 my "local site" version of WoW ran a lot faster under Wine than on native Windows, the graphics rendered without any errors. There was one bug that allowed you to skip global ability cool-down . I managed to get a few of my friends to stop using Windows.

The Steam version on the other hand still has not received a better rating than Garbage up to date. Sadly it's usually the case with online DRM platforms which is why I would not like to be the person that has to maintain that platform's compatibility. It's good news that Origin is getting better support. I am very glad that Steam has a native client.

Comment

+1 for wine stability. Skyrim still works wonderfuly here with Optimus but couldn't get it to use the dedicated card on windows 8.1. After I managed to configure the steam controller in linux, not even a reason to try it again

Comment

Working...
                X