Calligra 3.0 Officially Announced, Drops Some Apps, Ports To KF5/Qt5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calligra 3.0 Officially Announced, Drops Some Apps, Ports To KF5/Qt5

Phoronix: Calligra 3.0 Officially Announced, Drops Some Apps, Ports To KF5/Qt5

While Calligra 3.0 was tagged in early December, finally today we are seeing an official announcement from the project...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Okay. Has anyone used these things? I'd like to know more about Stage. I tried to put together a presentation with LibreOffice Impress last summer, but it was just tediously slow to get what I wanted, which is very simple. Also, what of koffice? Has it a Stage analog? Does one need to run in KDE to use either? (I'm on Fedora 25 and loath to leave Xfce for "just one app", but might give it a whirl.) Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by pipe13 View Post
      Okay. Has anyone used these things? I'd like to know more about Stage. I tried to put together a presentation with LibreOffice Impress last summer, but it was just tediously slow to get what I wanted, which is very simple. Also, what of koffice? Has it a Stage analog? Does one need to run in KDE to use either? (I'm on Fedora 25 and loath to leave Xfce for "just one app", but might give it a whirl.) Thanks!
      I cannot talk about Stage, but Words... unless your needs are really basic you cannot replace Writer with Calligra Words. At this point even Abiword is better than Words. For example, I have problems opening existing odt files (same problem I reported a couple of years ago, I cannot find the bug right now... it is somewhere on their bugzilla) and styles management is quite primitive, specially for page styles.

IMO, the main point of Calligra 3 is that it represent a turning point for the project. Now everything is on place to start building a nice product: only time will tell how nice it will be.

Keep an eye on it, play with it, report errors... if the community of interested users grow, Calligra have the potential to turn into something really big: right now it is quite limited and buggy, but it is an interesting project.

About your other questions: koffice is a dead project and no, you don't need to use KDE in order to try Calligra.

Comment

Huh, that took a while. In the mean time I installed it on my x32 Gentoo netbook already, and it's running great. (In comparison, LibreOffice would take ages to compile, if it compiled at all.)

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
          Huh, that took a while. In the mean time I installed it on my x32 Gentoo netbook already, and it's running great. (In comparison, LibreOffice would take ages to compile, if it compiled at all.)
          My small laptop once took 11h to compile LO … never tried that again :S

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
            Really, you're making the point of build times on a netbook against LibreOffice, all while installing a full set of Qt libs and KDE frameworks which together will take 2 days to build on that box?

I think the LO devs should be commended, that they reduced the build times compared to OOo by a factor of 2 or more.

Comment

Originally posted by tg-- View Post

Really, you're making the point of build times on a netbook against LibreOffice, all while installing a full set of Qt libs and KDE frameworks which together will take 2 days to build on that box?

I think the LO devs should be commended, that they reduced the build times compared to OOo by a factor of 2 or more.
              Yep he should have installed libreoffice-bin, which is better in some ways anyway. However Qt/KDE doesnt take to long to build, the biggest one is qtwebkit and a few other packages

Comment

Originally posted by tg-- View Post

The difference is that I actually use Qt libs and KDE frameworks for, well, the desktop. I'm running LXQt on it, so all the dependencies are already installed. LibreOffice takes so long to compile on its own.

And it might have improved, but that still takes a very long time in comparison.

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
                Yep he should have installed libreoffice-bin, which is better in some ways anyway.
                There is no libreoffice-bin for x32. Like I said, I doubt it even compiles on x32.

Comment

Working...
                X