KDE Plasma 5.9 Beta Released, Adds Global Menus & Better Wayland Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    When it is ready? KDE is like windows, developed since 1996, has huge human resources, resource hungry, slow, buggy and not freely configurable like the Whisker menu and panels in Xfce.
    Meanwhile, XFCE still looks like it came from 1996 and is slipping into obscurity due to not being able to catch up with Hi-DPI screens and Wayland.

KDE certainly does not have huge human resources. In terms of dedicated developers, it seems pretty tiny compared to Gnome. Whenever I hear news about KDE it's usually because of maybe 3 different developers.
    It's not that resource hungry is you install the essentials, which still gives you a very functional UI.
    Recent benchmarks have shown KDE isn't that slow anymore.
    KDE definitely offers more configuration than XFCE. Seeing as the whisker menu is not a stock XFCE package, what's stopping you from getting 3rd party packages for any other desktop environment?

I'm not hating on XFCE here, I use it on a daily basis. I also use KDE on a daily basis, and LXQt pretty regularly. I have recommended many people to use Gnome. But it gets tiring when people like to talk crap based on outdated information.

Comment

When it is ready? KDE is like windows, developed since 1996, has huge human resources, resource hungry, slow, buggy and not freely configurable like the Whisker menu and panels in Xfce.
      You so fat troll. KDE and GNOME is full-featured and mainstream desktop environment's. KDE not resource hungry, it's more more lightweight than GNOME and Unity. Just compare their.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        Meanwhile, XFCE still looks like it came from 1996 and is slipping into obscurity due to not being able to catch up with Hi-DPI screens and Wayland.

KDE certainly does not have huge human resources. In terms of dedicated developers, it seems pretty tiny compared to Gnome. Whenever I hear news about KDE it's usually because of maybe 3 different developers.
        It's not that resource hungry is you install the essentials, which still gives you a very functional UI.
        Recent benchmarks have shown KDE isn't that slow anymore.
        KDE definitely offers more configuration than XFCE. Seeing as the whisker menu is not a stock XFCE package, what's stopping you from getting 3rd party packages for any other desktop environment?

I'm not hating on XFCE here, I use it on a daily basis. I also use KDE on a daily basis, and LXQt pretty regularly. I have recommended many people to use Gnome. But it gets tiring when people like to talk crap based on outdated information.
        Then you miss the point of XFCE. XFCE users don't want change. They want it to look the same. They don't mind if you add features -- as long as they don't effect the look. We like our DE like we like our five year old MRE's, stale but edible. =p

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
          Good for KDE that they can pick up RH/Gnome work for Wayland migration. Like libinput.

Anyway the real migration work happens at RH/Gnome. Latest: LibreOffice on Wayland. Based on GTK3 of course.
          Good, we got the obligatory anti-KDE and pro-GNOME post, Ok we can close this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by ArchFanatic View Post

Im running KDE Plasma on Braswell netbook without any inefficient Wayland bullshit on old good Xorg server
            Don't make me laugh. "Good old" Xorg with tearing and worse performance. Ah, almost forgot about security: Wayland can isolate input/output of clients, Xorg can't.

Wayland is faster, more safe, and can guarantee display without tearing. Xorg can't. Xorg can't compete with Windows or macOS display server. Let's be honest - Xorg was good in 90's, now it's time to bury it, because it's millstone around Linux neck.
            Last edited by dragon321; 18 January 2017, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
              Then you miss the point of XFCE. XFCE users don't want change. They want it to look the same. They don't mind if you add features -- as long as they don't effect the look. We like our DE like we like our five year old MRE's, stale but edible. =p
              I never implied XFCE was to be any different. As stated before, I don't dislike XFCE - I'm using it right now and I'm very happy with it. I'm aware of it's goals and purposes. The reason for my post was to say that people can't complain about KDE because of it's deliberate differences from XFCE.

"But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comment

Ooo the trolls are out today, primary school must be closed.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  "But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid."
                  That stupid fish has low self-esteem. If it had a sense of high self-esteem, it wouldn't give a rat's ass about what you thought of its tree climbing abilities

Comment

What, specifically, can you do in the "Whisker menu and panels in Xfce" that you can't do in one of the existing Plasma application menus and one of the existing plasma panels? The whisker menu just looks like a clone of the windows vista menu.

Comment

Meh. kde is good.. But needs work. I still haven't found an easy way to disable all kde popup notifications. It was tolerable in late kde4, the notifications didn't stack up on top of each other. Now the notification stacking is back and they pile up sometimes. Kind of annoying. (btw disabling kde notifications though the gui simply makes them pop up at the top, right in the middle of your screen. You just can't win.)
                      This is why I say xfce and mate has good configuration where it counts.

Comment

Working...
                      X