No announcement yet.

Inkscape 0.92 Released As A Big Update For This Vector Drawing Program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does Inkscape 0.92 still keep those useless “video_NTSC_720x486.svg” and “video_PAL_720x576.svg” templates? They are useless because their aspect ratios are wrong. Broadcast/DVD/etc video is either 4:3 (narrowscreen) or 16:9 (widescreen), not 3:2, 5:4 or whatever other strange ratio those templates might be.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post

OMG!! Finally!! My biggest complaint about Inkscape is that it makes it extremely difficult to select what you want in some cases of overlapping or very close objects.
      Yeah... That is very useful!

Now.... Does it let you override an existing object name with a new object name. That would also be super useful!

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post

OMG!! Finally!! My biggest complaint about Inkscape is that it makes it extremely difficult to select what you want in some cases of overlapping or very close objects.
        That and it's nearly 10 months behind their ever moving release date makes you lose interest in a very robust product.

Comment

Originally posted by ldo17 View Post
          Does Inkscape 0.92 still keep those useless “video_NTSC_720x486.svg” and “video_PAL_720x576.svg” templates? They are useless because their aspect ratios are wrong. Broadcast/DVD/etc video is either 4:3 (narrowscreen) or 16:9 (widescreen), not 3:2, 5:4 or whatever other strange ratio those templates might be.
          According to this page, 720x486 is D1 NTSC (ITU-R 601) and 720x576 is D1/DV PAL. The aspect ratio you expect is accomplished by having the player correct for an original source video signal with non-square pixels. (to avoid baking a lossy transformation into the stored bits)

See also: https://wiki.xiph.org/Videos/A_Digit...imer_For_Geeks

Comment

Originally posted by bobwya View Post
            Now.... Does it let you override an existing object name with a new object name. That would also be super useful!
            By "object name" do you mean its ID, Label or something else?

Comment

Originally posted by Bryce Harrington View Post
              However, Inkscape has a representative on the SVG2 standards committee.
              Let's be honest, Bryce. Tav is the person who pretty much has been driving the development of SVG for the past few years.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
                The aspect ratio you expect is accomplished by having the player correct for an original source video signal with non-square pixels.
                Do you not realize that Inkscape is supposed to be a WYSIWYG design tool? That means if I draw a circle, I expect it to come out as a circle, not as some weirdly squashed or stretched ellipse.

That means, for video, you do your design on a 4:3 or 16:9 canvas, not on some other weird ratio.

This is why I wrote dvd_menu_animator: you use Inkscape to design your menus on such an aspect ratio, and it takes care of the conversion to non-uniform pixel densities.

Comment

Originally posted by ldo17 View Post

Do you not realize that Inkscape is supposed to be a WYSIWYG design tool? That means if I draw a circle, I expect it to come out as a circle, not as some weirdly squashed or stretched ellipse.

That means, for video, you do your design on a 4:3 or 16:9 canvas, not on some other weird ratio.

This is why I wrote dvd_menu_animator: you use Inkscape to design your menus on such an aspect ratio, and it takes care of the conversion to non-uniform pixel densities.
                  I realize that... I just think that, given that you can embed raster components, it'd be better to have support for distorting the canvas during editing, similar to how GIMP has a "Dot for Dot" option to turn on or off use of the DPI in determining what "100% Zoom" means.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    Too bad Inkscape 0.92 still uses Gtk 2 and haven't switched over to Gtk 3 yet. This is planned though.
                    Too bad Inkscape 0.92 still uses Gtk and haven't switched over to Qt. This is not planned though.

Comment

Working...
                    X