• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by atomsymbol
    Adding the line:

Code:
    * - core unlimited
    to /etc/security/limits.conf results in regular appearance of new core dumps from various KDE applications/services. This testifies against the stability of KDE software (and of the Qt toolkit (and of the C/C++ language)).
    That's nice and all, but rewriting The World in your pet language is a no-go, and would you kindly point me to the DE on Linux that is written in your pet language and included in mainstream distributions using a toolkit written in said pet language.

If it doesn't exist... well I guess you need to start writing code as opposed to complaining on forums, don't you?

Comment

Adding the line:

Code:
      * - core unlimited
      to /etc/security/limits.conf results in regular appearance of new core dumps from various KDE applications/services. This testifies against the stability of KDE software (and of the Qt toolkit (and of the C/C++ language)).
      Only if doing the same for Gnome or Xfce or whatever results in significantly less core dumps over the same period of time.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Only if doing the same for Gnome or Xfce or whatever results in significantly less core dumps over the same period of time.
        I think the heart of his complaint really is that he thinks that they should be written in some other unspecified language. Which there's some value to the idea of having things based in some type-safe language, but... at the end of the day all of the DEs and toolkits for Linux are written in or C or C++ other than Swing but nobody likes Swing apps. So... It's a rather useless complaint unless the author of the complaint wants to write his own toolkit, and DE, which should probably be wayland only so that he can avoid calling into C code as much as possible.

Comment

The screens keep switching on my multi monitor setup. Very annoying, has it been fixed?

Comment

And funny enough, after posting about not having issues with KDE glitches, I upgrade Neon to 5.8.5 and the text in Konsole gets messed up. Yup, that's the KDE I love

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              I'm not sure why people are focusing on birdie - I'm not 100% sure if he's intentionally trolling, but he is known to mostly spew comments of irrational, subjective, or exaggerated FUD and hate.
              Wow, I've just added you to my ignore list. This is the worst insult I've heard in my entire life. Also, it's the least factual. But then you're no one and also now that I know that you're full of shit I won't see your posts any longer.

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              Seems to me most people who hate KDE are:
              * Basing their experiences from the first few releases and insist the same problems exist today
              * Have no clue how to use it and hate it because it does something they don't like, even though most of the time that can be addressed
              * Have no clue how to use it and hate it because it doesn't do something they wish it did, even though it likely does

I don't understand how people can be Linux users and not spend the time and effort to learn a major user interface, so instead they choose to complain about it. Yes, KDE can be a bit overwhelming with features sometimes. There are definitely better ways to approach some things. Iit certainly is not lean. But when you can't even figure out how to disable something with a stock minimal KDE install, maybe, just a little bit, you're the problem.

Every DE has it's pros and cons, and talking crap about one because you don't know how to use it or doesn't suit your personal tastes is ridiculous. KDE is ideal for power-users. GNOME is good for those who just want a straight-forward, stable, modern, and clean interface. LXQt is great for those who want no frills. Unity is supposed to be effective and consistent among varying screen sizes and input devices.
              Indeed you're full of shit.

Let's compare KDE 3.5.10 to brand new shiny hipster friendly KDE 5:

The former is stable as hell and never crashes on me even though I've replaced pretty much everything under the hood.
              The latter crashes/freezes under so many conditions it's just mind boggling. Visit KDE bugzilla for insight.

The former is extremely snappy and very light on CPU/memory.
              The latter consumes over 500MB while running nothing.

Maybe, just maybe KDE5 offers some new irreplaceable features? Hell, no, KDE 3.5.10 still has more useful applications and the ones I have in KDE 3.5 often have more features than their new counterparts. Do we have KNetStats for KDE 5? No. Maybe KSensors? No. Maybe KWeather? Yes, a brain dead plasmoid. Maybe transparent Kicker? Um, no, nothing at all - create your own theme please. Maybe a fast start menu which doesn't suck? No. KDE 5 devs refused to add back the XEmbed systray protocol for over 2,5 years which meant that all the application which used the old X systray protocal were invisible under KDE5. Wow.

You perfectly represent the new generation of dumb idiots who believe that less features equal more features. Who think that everything must be in shades of grey. Who believe that controls and text must all look the same. Because of people like you who run corporations we have abominations like Windows 8/10, ribbon UI, iOS 7 and higher, Gnome 3, Unity, KDE 5 and other totally unusable shit.

Look how beautiful KDE 3.5.10 is.
              Look how pathetic KDE 5 is. Let's make everything gray because ... because we think it's cool.

Yes, I'm a troll. The sanest troll around I guess. Most others readily swallow and praise whatever shit they are offered and create all sorts of excuses to vindicate the taste of shit.
              Last edited by birdie; 02 January 2017, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                Wow, I've just added you to my ignore list. This is the worst insult I've heard in my entire life. Also, it's the least factual. But then you're no one and also now that I know that you're full of shit I won't see your posts any longer.
                You say that as though that's a problem to me and as though you deserve better. If you don't want to get insulted, stop posting inflamatory comments like this:
                Indeed you're full of shit.
                and
                You perfectly represent the new generation of dumb idiots who believe that less features equal more features.
                While you fail to prove any of your points in a realistic manner. For all we know, you're comparing a full-blown Kubuntu install with some stripped-down KDE 3.5 Gentoo setup.

Personal anecdotes because of your own incapability of running a modern OS is not evidence that you are right. Your "proof" is neither the fault of KDE developers or modern society. You treat your opinions as fact and then get butthurt when someone disagrees. You hold so tightly onto your own ideals and comfort zone, and hate everything you don't understand.

Yes, I'm a troll. The sanest troll around I guess.
                For someone as accepting of yourself you sure seem to get insulted easily.

Comment

Originally posted by bobwya View Post
                  Hopefully plasma-shell will have a rudimentary off-main-thread UI updater - so that the panels and menus don't stop working / lockup whenever networking goes down (e.g. post-resume), etc.
                  I think it is the other way around.
                  The UI is driven by the main thread while networking, etc. is done asynchronously.

Cheers,
                  _

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
                    GTK on Plasma feels half assed and out of place, especially when X app has a totally different File Chooser than Qt apps.

That sounds a bit as if the toolkit being used for these applications lack the capability to use platform native dialogs or that the respective plugin is missing.

E.g. a Qt application, which has the capability as that is part of Qt, could still be displaying a different dialog than GTK apps on GNOME if the "GTK platform theme" or "GNOME platform theme" (not sure about the actual name) plugin is not installed.

Vice versa the same will be true for a GTK application with missing "plasma" dialog plugin (or whatever kind of platform integration mechanism GTK uses).

Cheers,
                    _

Comment

- In my opinion, an issue with C/C++ is the absence of source code validation tools from the programming process.
                      What precisely do you mean by validation in this case? C and C++ have unit test systems, they have static analyzers, fuzzers, and things to check valid memory usage like Valgrind. It's true that Rust and C# or whatever have a higher level of introspection into the code, but that's not quite the same thing as validation.

- Pet languages: Using a pet language is OK if there exists a succinct universal bidirectional interface between C/C++ and the pet language. It is a matter of how easily and efficiently the pet language can talk to the already existing language(s). Swig is too cumbersome.
                      What exactly is it that you want? You're complaining about C and C++ without providing an alternative, and in this statement despite complaining about Qt (and by consequence GTK for your complaints about C) the implication is you're married to having a C or C++ toolkit that the language is talking to... which defeats the point of complaining about C and C++

Comment

Working...
                      X